Author Topic: Encouraging/emulating beneficial indigenous molds on a natural rind tomme?  (Read 8369 times)

linuxboy

Re: Encouraging/emulating beneficial indigenous molds on a natural rind tomme?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 12:27:07 AM »
What procedures and conditions should I keep it in to promote the proper growth of a rind similar to the tomme de savoie? A medium brown thick rind.

Got it. Here's what you do:

1) Inoculate the milk
2) Make 2% brine with rind slurry. 2% just in case the white mold is really sensitve to salt.
3) Dunk cheese in brine every day for 3-5 days. RH 95%. Temp 55F. After the third time, take a rag and wipe the whole thing down. Let it rest for 1-2 days. The surface should change, get a little funky/smelly, slight whisps of fuzz. Not slimey, exactly, but you should see a color change (orange/red), that's the transition point.
4) Dunk cheese every other day for 2-3 times and wipe down with rag after each time. RH 90%. Temp 55F
5) By this time, you should have a decent bloom of whatever is starting to grow on it. Let it grow out 2-3 days so you can see what's happening. There should be orange/brown/slight white spots.
6) Dunk a few more times, spaced 3-5 days apart, wipe with rag to keep the molds down. Then let it grow out. The geo should take over, make a mottled kind of rind with white and red and brown.
7) From here, cut the temp to 50-51F, and humidity to 85-87F and let it go. Brush down every few weeks at first, then every month or as needed for maintenance. The color will equalize and be more uniform.

Should give you a close approximation of that rind. The brown comes in a little later usually, in 2-3 weeks from the make, and the color intensifies. What you're doing is raising the temp and humidity at first, to get everything to grow, then letting the geo take over and bloom, and then cutting back the temp and humidity and letting the cheese age and rind flora to die off.

OudeKaas

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 02:27:19 AM »
Well, I see the tomme rind topic seems to be 'blooming' across a number of threads. Thanks to all who have provided feedback, linuxboy in particular natch, for sketching out some of the deep complexity and still taking the time to boil the details down to meaningful options for the noob-ish (like moi).

Anyhoo, so I am ready to try the method of washing my little goat tommes with pureed rinds in mild brine. Here's the rather limited selection of what I have available atm:

Raw milk Cantalet: Whitish rind with an underlay of orange
Old piece of Taleggio: Stanky stanky, purely b. linens I would think?
Black Label Cambozola: I know this is a blue but the rind doesn't show it, but is rather a beatiful grey/white/brown blend. Safe to use without blue taking over?
Chaumes: I think the 'rind' is printed wax but the paste itself if a bit funky/stinky, might be useful?

I realize this will be kind of a shotgun approach if I blend the bunch, and I have seen posts here that suggest some things don't play nice together. As a beginner, I would consider a wide range of outcomes to be acceptable. I don't want it to be bland and characterless, or on the other end of things uber-stinky, but those are about my only boundaries. Oh, and my modified mini-fridge only gets up to 80-85% RH mostly. If all of the above doesn't seem desirable I could wait a day or two and acquire some better samples . . .

Would appreciate any thoughts on what to put into the mix!

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 02:34:34 AM »
Don't use p roqueforti. If you use candidum, use a moderate salt brine, 3-4%, retards the growth. Tallegio is b linens primarily. Classic for tomme is a yeast, and a b linens/geo blend, along with airborne molds. And/or mycodore/mycoderm along with b linens and geo.

OudeKaas

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 02:18:09 AM »
Thanks, lb. I'll take that to mean that even the non-blue-appearing rind of the Cambozola is off limits.

Interesting that you mention yeast . ..  I do have some dried yeast and viable slurry around from other hobby efforts that I could add. Any specific recommendations in that department? I think I have some white wine yeast, a neutral American ale yeast, Belgian Saison . . .  .

linuxboy

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
No, use a better yeast more suited to cheese. debromyces, kluyveromyces, candida utils, etc.

OudeKaas

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 06:43:15 PM »
(check the kluyveromyces tin) "Honey? Are we all out of kuyveromyces AGAIN?"

Dang. Not this time, I suppose.

Rind-wise, I ended up going with Tallegio, Chaumes, Cantalet, Port Salut and Tomme De Savoie. We'll see how it goes . . . .
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:15:59 AM by Brandnetel »