Author Topic: Three Havarti Recipes: Margaret Morris, Danlac, & Debi's  (Read 7089 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Three Havarti Recipes: Margaret Morris, Danlac, & Debi's
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
OKay here are the three other recipes I promised last night. You can stick them were you want.

Havarti - Margaret Morris

Ingredients:
12 to 15 liters (3 to 4 gallons) Milk
Meso III
or Meso II & Aroma B
Calcium chloride
Rennet

Procedure:
1) Warm milk slowly in warm water bath to 32°C. (90°F) stirring occasionally.
2) Add culture(s) let cultures dissolved on the milks surface for 2 to 4 minutes before stirring. Work well into the milk using 20 top/bottom strokes.
3) Allow milk to ripen for 30 minutes.
4) If required add 3.75 ml (3/4 teaspoon) calcium chloride diluted in 1/4 cup of cool water.
5) Add 3.75 ml (3/4 teaspoon) rennet diluted in 1/4 cup of cool water. Mix well into the milk using 20 top/bottom stir method. Allow to set for 30-45 minutes until a curd forms.
6) Test the curd for the "clean break" then proceed to cut the curd into 1/2 inch cubes. Stir the curds gently for 5 to10 minutes until they are uniform size. Stir also to prevent matting. Allow curds to settle to the bottom of the pot for 5 minutes.
7) Remove about 4 liters (1 gallon) of whey. Replace it immediately with 2 liters (1/2 gallon) of very hot water (75-80°C/167-176°F) to increase the temperature of the curds and whey to 38°C (100°F). Sir gently until temperature stabilizes. If the temperature is above or below the target temperature simply add a little hot or cold water to adjust the final cooking temperature.
8) Once you have achieved the proper cooking temperature add 1/4 cup of coarse salt and allow the curds and whey to remain at this temperature for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent curds from matting. Perform the "texture test" described in section 1.8 Chapter VI to determine if curds are ready to be drained.
9) Drain the curds into a colander pre-warmed with very hot water. Press the cheese as recommended in the section "pressing hard and semi hard cheeses" of chapter VI. Once the cheese has been redressed leave it in the press for 4-6 hours under firm pressure for the entire press time.
10) Brine the cheese for 3-4 hours in heavy brine. (32 oz. salt to 1 gallon water)
11) Allow cheese to air dry at room temperature, on a clean cheese mat until rind is dry. Cream and hard wax the cheese following the instructions given in the "waxing the cheese" section of Chapter VI.
12) Age pasteurized milk cheese in your cold room from 6-8 weeks. Raw milk cheese age 4-8 weeks, although 60 days is recommended for health reasons.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »
Process guidelines for Havarti 45 + - Danlac

(blocks/loafs of approx 2.5 kg
Raw material raw milk
Standardization to 2.9- 3.5% fat depending on the protein content
Heating 72-75 C(161-167F) for 16-30 sec.or 145 for 30 minutes
Cooling to renneting temperature 30-32 C(86-90 F)
Inoculation 0.7-1% Probat 505 bulk starter or Probat 222
(5u/500Lt. 130 gal.- direct set)
Addition ofCaCl2 approx 20 gr./100 Lt.
Preripening to pH 6.50
Renneting 2-3 gr. pure calf rennet powder (Renco) or RenNet 1
gr/100 Ltr
Coagulation setting time 15-18 minutes
coagulation time 30-40 minutes
Cutting curd grain diameter green pea to hazelnut
size (approx 0.5- 1 cm3)
Setting 5-10 minutes
Stirring 20-30 minutes
Separating draw of whey,30- 40%
Stirring 10-15 minutes
Scalding (Cooking) addition of water 15%+_3% of hot water(temp.
depending on amount of vat milk) Scalding to
38C(100F), within 15-25 minutes
Final stirring 40-45 minutes(addition of 100-200 gr. of NaCl./100 Lt
cheese milk if dry salting is desired).
Filling into forms (hoops)
Pressing depending on equipment, eg. 15 min 0.3- 0.6 bar(1 bar
atmospheric pressure)
Room temp. 25C,frequently is not pressed but just
turned,thus pH of the cheese must be 5.3+0.15 before brine bath and 5.505+-0.1 after the brine bath.
Brining pH before brine bath 5.2+0.1
21+21 *Beume,15+3 C(59F),pH 5.05+0.1(can be more
acid than the cheese) concentrated salt solution
salting time : 24-54 h depending on weight
pH after brine bath : 5.10-5.15
Smearing Dipping or spraying red smear solution(liquid culture in 5
volumes of 3% NaCl solution),during initial ripening smearing
must be repeated twice.
Ripening The first 2 weeks at 15+-3 C,95-100% RH(relative humidity)
Cheese must be treated with red smear twice a week until a
nice closed but not too thick layer of redsmear has developed
(8B linens)
The next 2-6 weeks at 12-14 C,85-90% RH
packaging After washing and drying
Storage at 6 C
Mild type >5 weeks
Medium >3 months
Sharp >6 months
Production of bulk starter:
Medium skimmilk or VIS-START MB 70 (media)
Heating at 90-95 C(194-203 F) for approx 30 minutes
Cooling to 22 C (72 F)
Inoculation 1X Probat 505 Visbyvac B 1000 per 1,000 Lt (264 gal.)
Incubation At 22 C (72 F) in 18 h to pH 4.65+-0.10
Cooling to 4-8 C (39-46 F

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:09:57 PM »
HAVARTI – Deejay’s Recipe adapted from Peter Dixson

Ingredients:
7 Gallons Pasteurized milk at 86-88 °F
1/2 teaspoon Mesophile Aromatic Type B (starter )
1/2 teaspoon MD-89 (This culture is used to enhance flavor (buttery) and produce some small eyes in cheese )
1/4 teaspoon Add double strength rennet mixed in 1/4 cup pure water
Calcium Chloride - CaCl2 disolved in ¼ cup of pure water if needed.
2.4 grams flaked salt
2 tablespoon Dill weed (optional)

Procedure
Pasteurized whole milk at 86-88 °F,
Add cultures let stand on milk for 5 minutes before mixing.
Ripen milk for 30 minutes.
Add CaCl2  now if needed if needed.
Add  rennet.
Check for clean break, cut into 1/2inch curds. Let curds stand for 5 minutes after cutting before beginning to stir.
Gently stir curds in whey for 15 minutes while keeping 86-88 °F.
Let curds settle to the bottom and push to one side and drain off whey equal to one half of original milk volume.  Save whey!
Add 170°F water in an equal volume to replace the drained whey while continuously stirring curds. Target temperature 97-98 °F. Adjust as needed.
Add ¼ cup of salt
Stir and cook for 30 minutes at 97-98 °F.
Let curds settle to the bottom of vat for 5 minutes and then push the curds towards the back of the vat to form a curd pack.
Place mold in vat,  drain off the liquid, breaking up curds, add herbs now mix well and put curds into cheese molds. 
Press with 1 1/2 lb. weight per 1 lb. cheese. Press for 15 minutes.
Remove cheeses from press, re-dress, turn over, and put back in hoops.
Return to press. Repeat 2 more times every 30 minutes.
Repeat 3 more times every hour.
Remove from press and place in saturated brine of 4 tablespoons salt/gallon of whey for 2 1/2 hours per lb. of cheese depending on desired salt content.  Brine pH should be around 6.0-5.8.  Final pH after brining should be about 5.2.
After brining or salting, wheels are air dried until the surfaces are dry to the touch. Age at 50°F humidity of  80-85%. The cheeses can be waxed or vacuum-sealed as soon as the surfaces are dry enough.
Wheels are stored at 50-55 °F and 85-90% RH for at least 30 days for a young cheese and 120 for a mature cheese.
Wash cheeses every other day in 1/2 gallon water, 2 cups salt, 2 tablespoons white vinegar and 1 teaspoon CaCl2.

Zoey

Re: Three Havarti Recipes: Margaret Morris, Danlac, & Debi's
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:00:02 AM »

Mmm, sounds delicious. Thanks for these.

I'm thinking I might try a Cream Havarti next. Any ideas, how is cream havarti different from just Havarti? Does the Cream refer only to creamy taste, or is cream added to milk to provide extra fat content? In short, how should i modify a regular "Havarti" recipe to get "Cream Havarti"?

bmckee561

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »
Sorry for re-posting the entire recipe from DeeJayDeb, but I am a bit confused at the end of the recipe and need some answers, please.

The following was stated:

The cheeses can be waxed or vacuum-sealed as soon as the surfaces are dry enough.

Wheels are stored at 50-55 °F and 85-90% RH for at least 30 days for a young cheese and 120 for a mature cheese.

Wash cheeses every other day in 1/2 gallon water, 2 cups salt, 2 tablespoons white vinegar and 1 teaspoon CaCl2.

Ok....  so if I am waxing or vacuum sealing, do I need to wash the cheese every other day prior to actually sealing?  If so, for how long a period of time?  If not, what is the reasoning behind the washing?  Is it to keep mold formation from occuring if stored un-waxed or sealed?

If MD-89 is not available, can I substitute a different culture for the eye formation?

I have rennet tablets from "Leeners".  Would I use 1/2 tablet instead of the double strength indicated in the original recipe?

HAVARTI – Deejay’s Recipe adapted from Peter Dixson

Ingredients:
7 Gallons Pasteurized milk at 86-88 °F
1/2 teaspoon Mesophile Aromatic Type B (starter )
1/2 teaspoon MD-89 (This culture is used to enhance flavor (buttery) and produce some small eyes in cheese )
1/4 teaspoon Add double strength rennet mixed in 1/4 cup pure water
Calcium Chloride - CaCl2 disolved in ¼ cup of pure water if needed.
2.4 grams flaked salt
2 tablespoon Dill weed (optional)

Procedure
Pasteurized whole milk at 86-88 °F,
Add cultures let stand on milk for 5 minutes before mixing.
Ripen milk for 30 minutes.
Add CaCl2  now if needed if needed.
Add  rennet.
Check for clean break, cut into 1/2inch curds. Let curds stand for 5 minutes after cutting before beginning to stir.
Gently stir curds in whey for 15 minutes while keeping 86-88 °F.
Let curds settle to the bottom and push to one side and drain off whey equal to one half of original milk volume.  Save whey!
Add 170°F water in an equal volume to replace the drained whey while continuously stirring curds. Target temperature 97-98 °F. Adjust as needed.
Add ¼ cup of salt
Stir and cook for 30 minutes at 97-98 °F.
Let curds settle to the bottom of vat for 5 minutes and then push the curds towards the back of the vat to form a curd pack.
Place mold in vat,  drain off the liquid, breaking up curds, add herbs now mix well and put curds into cheese molds. 
Press with 1 1/2 lb. weight per 1 lb. cheese. Press for 15 minutes.
Remove cheeses from press, re-dress, turn over, and put back in hoops.
Return to press. Repeat 2 more times every 30 minutes.
Repeat 3 more times every hour.
Remove from press and place in saturated brine of 4 tablespoons salt/gallon of whey for 2 1/2 hours per lb. of cheese depending on desired salt content.  Brine pH should be around 6.0-5.8.  Final pH after brining should be about 5.2.
After brining or salting, wheels are air dried until the surfaces are dry to the touch. Age at 50°F humidity of  80-85%. The cheeses can be waxed or vacuum-sealed as soon as the surfaces are dry enough.

I am interested in trying this version from DeeJayDeb very soon and want to get it right the first time if possible (yeeaah right!).

Salute!   :D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »
quote author=bmckee561 link=topic=1934.msg40964#msg40964 date=1291486388]
Sorry for re-posting the entire recipe from DeeJayDeb, but I am a bit confused at the end of the recipe and need some answers, please.

The following was stated:

The cheeses can be waxed or vacuum-sealed as soon as the surfaces are dry enough.

If not sealed

Ok....  so if I am waxing or vacuum sealing, do I need to wash the cheese every other day prior to actually sealing?   No   If so, for how long a period of time?  If not, what is the reasoning behind the washing?  Is it to keep mold formation from occuring if stored un-waxed or sealed? ?   yes – exactly!  

If MD-89 is not available, can I substitute a different culture    Probat 222, Meso III    for the eye formation? Havarti is blind – no eyes!  
I have rennet tablets from "Leeners".  Would I use 1/2 tablet instead of the double strength indicated in the original recipe?   Use as recommend by the manufacturer – I have never used this rennet      

I am interested in trying this version from DeeJayDeb very soon and want to get it right the first time if possible (yeeaah right!).
Salute!   :D [/quote]

Watch your temperatures carefully! If you over heat or over cook you’ll have a mild hard cheese not a soft moist cheese. I have made Havarti with a homemade Meso culture and it works well. The cooking is more critical than the cultures used. Good luck!

I have another recipe here somewhere that I like better but it does require you to soak in plain water before the brine and you have you use your best judgment on when to remove it from the water.

zenith1

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 03:50:08 PM »
That's a lot of compilation Debi, Thanks for the post.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »
Your welcome hon!

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »
I'm glad this got revisited, as I've been thinking about trying Havarti.  Now I just have to wait for life to settle a bit - er, for the day when I don't have to milk twice a day anymore - so I've got enough energy to make a cheese that's a bit more challenging than my usual mozz and colby!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 06:28:41 PM »
Mozzarella takes more energy! All that stretching can be a back breaker - well for me anyway as I am always working it with my hands over my head. Smaller balls would help.

MrsKK

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 01:17:43 AM »
Maybe more physical energy, but by this point I can almost make mozz in my sleep.  Plus, my recipe is spread out over two days, so I can have big gaps of time in between the different steps.  Havarti seems to take a bit more attention, which I have trouble with when life is chaotic as it is now.

The 20 inches of snow we got this weekend didn't help, but I'm sure glad the cheeses I made are the old "tried and true" recipes.

bmckee561

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 01:23:34 PM »
This weekend (Tuesday-Wednesday for me  ;)) I will be making this recipe along with a Queso Fresco batch.  I have all the ingredients and look forward to the end results.

Thanks all.

Salute!   :D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:57:33 AM »
Karen I feel that way about harvati. SImple make does require some attention but little effort. I do mozzarella over two days also. I use my bocconcini recipe almost exclusively.

MrsKK

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:32 PM »
Thanks so much to whomever re-visited this thread, as it encouraged me to try something different.  I cracked open my first Havarti today at one month old (I've made two more since and have them in the ripening container).

While it is very mild, it is soft and moist, as Havarti should be and tastes just like a Havarti!  Funny how that works out.  I have cut it into four quarters and will eat the one as very young and vac sealed the other three all together.  I'll take them out one at a time to test how ageing alters this cheese.

Thanks again!

george

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
MrsKK, which recipe did you use?   This week's cheese for me is going to be Havarti, so I've been reading up on all the Havarti threads.  (Only about halfway through them so far.)  Can't wait, I used to inhale Havarti ...