Author Topic: Hello from Central PA!  (Read 1213 times)

Kevin s

Hello from Central PA!
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
Hi everyone!

Let me start by first saying that I'm a total newbie to cheese making.  The only thing I know about making cheese right now is that it starts with milk, lol.  I've been thinking about learning to make cheese for a couple years so I decided maybe its time to begin.

Kevin

Alex

Re: Hello from Central PA!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:12:58 PM »
Wellcome Kevin,

You are almost right about the beginning. I would suggest, search through topics of this forum before you get the milk. :)

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:54:36 PM »
Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for sure. I'm from the lower Hudson Valley, where is PA do you live? I don't  what kind of cheeses you are interested in making, but I would suggest you start with a few soft cheeses that will give you a tasty quick reward. There are plenty of recipes to choose from in the recipe area of the forum. They also require less investment in equipment(at least initially because if you have the bug...) ;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:58:10 PM »
Welcome Kevin in Pennsylvania! We all started there :)!

Good advice from zenith1, to add, a few of us made a sticky post for those new to cheese making. If you are dead set on starting with a hard cheese then this method means less equipment and washed curd type cheeses (Gouda etc) need less weights and have shorter aging times, so faster to see your results and correct in next batch.

Have fun!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
Hello Kevin and welcome. We all had to start someplce. Luckily we now have John's forum to learn from and many wonderful people to help us along.

Enjoy!