Author Topic: hello from a german in michigan  (Read 1731 times)

susanne

hello from a german in michigan
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:31:18 PM »
hi everyone,
me and my family came to the usa about ten years ago.  five years ago bought a little ten acre farm. we bred and raise nubian dairy goats because of the rich and sweet tasting milk. i started making cheese two years ago and had some good ones and some mishaps that went to the chickens. i'm currently making a raclette cheese and have a saga gouda in a brine. two goudas are sitting to get dry so they can be waxed. a two month old caprizola in the fridge and some petite camembert in the fridge too. chevre is always in the fridge.
i still don't get the cheese everytime the same, nevertheless, the one that make it to the dinner table are delicious ;)
we just built an addition to the house and underneath will be an 8X16 cheese aging room with cool element. someday i hope i will get everything together so i can sell some of my cheeses. 
there is still so much to learn. did i say i love making cheese? :)

Cheese Head

Re: hello from a german in michigan
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »
Hello susanne and welcome to the forum! Lots of people in Michigan already here and some other German born but I think none actually in Germany! Congrats on all the cheese making.

8x16 ft cheese aging room, I'd love that! FYI there's some excellent info posted by member linuxboy in the Library on Cheese Caves.

Again welcome . . .

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:06:20 AM »
Welcome Susanne. I'd love to see your cheese cave. Must be nice.

susanne

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »
thank you for the welcome :)
i will post pictures when it is done.
john i will look at the cave library. i'm sure there will be some ideas i can use.

cmharris6002

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »
Hi Susanne,

Your cheese room sounds great! I have an old coal room about that size in my basement (110 yr old farmhouse). I tried to use as a cave but it just didn't stay cool enough for cheese in the summer so we filled it with wine ;D

What are you are you using to cool your cheese room?

Christy

susanne

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 02:06:17 AM »
i'm not sure yet. i have to see and wait how stable the temp and humidity will be.
if getting to warm, i'm planning to have a cooler unit, normally used for wine cellars, installed.
this cave has no sunlight and is six feet below ground with natural flooring.