Author Topic: Eric's Homemade Camembert Hoops  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Eric's Homemade Camembert Hoops
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:27:53 PM »
Eric, hope you don't mind but I split off your post and responses on your homemade Camembert hoops . . .
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:04:29 PM by Webmaster »

memkuk

Re: Eric's Homemade Camembert Hoops
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:24:02 PM »
Still wanted to have your opinion on the following: I have been making my own molds and just tried my hand on making Camembert for the first time. As you can see from the first picture below, I made slits into the molds with a dremmel, instead of drilling holes. This prevents the soft curds from flushing out of the mold and makes the cheese slide effortlessly when turning the mold upside down. I have the impression that after 10 days the cheese looks rather good.
But does this make sense or am I on the wrong path with this slits versus holes approach?

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »
I have no idea about the slots being good or bad because I have no holes in my molds for cheddar. With that said your cheese looks really good. Makes me hungry! I am seriously considering venturing out to a large batch of another type of cheese.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 11:15:22 PM »
Eric, I like the idea of slits instead of round holes to weep the whey out. Hope they are going to be easily cleanable.

I've only had problems with curds extruding out my "professional" round hole Camembert hoops when I loaded them too high too early and pressure was too high and they spurted out.

Your Camemberts look great, it must be hard turning on relatively large bamboo mats. I've cut ~5" x 5" squares of plastic mat that I use on each end for easier quick turning that I do almost like flipping pancakes.

Also also there was quite a discussion on mats and problem that they harbour mold.

memkuk

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:57 AM »
John, txs for referring to the "discussion on mats" post: it really gave me good ideas.
Cleaning the slits seems OK: I use a hard brush, applying it lengthwise over the slits. This seems to work easier than poking the holes clean.
Turning using the larger bamboo mats works quite well: I put the mat, with the cheese on it, in my left hand, and drape a clean mat over the top of the cheese. The top mat automatically folds down along both sides of the cheese, which then gives me a steady grip, using my right hand, to tip it over. I then gently peel of the top mat which was at the bottom before.
However, after reading the earlier mentioned "discussion on mats" post, I will look into a way to airate the cheese better.