Author Topic: Cheese Making Books - Recommendations?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Cheese Making Books - Recommendations?
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »
Webmasters note, split following posts off of a different thread as separate subject that is of interest to others.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:05:42 PM by Webmaster »

SANDQ

Re: Cheese Making Books - Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »
Thanks for that, can you recommend a good reference book?

SANDQ

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »
Sorry, I too forgot to answer your other question. I am, as you are aware an English expat in Bulgaria, there is in my locale a big British expat community, to whom I have been selling fresh milk and cheese products to for about 18 months, It is this community that have approached me to ask can I start producing cheddar as there is no readily available supply of cheddar here, and what there is, is a very low grade, flavourless, rubbery in texture and expensive. So my market is there already. As for a commercial scale operation, it would be nice and is a thought but we must learn to walk before we can run.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
In most states, it's not legal for you to sell cheeses without a cheesemaking license, so check your state regulations. Here in Kentucky the state watches farmer's markets for contraband cheese (and other unlicensed products). ;) They're just looking out for the public health.

You should focus on learning and making really GREAT cheese and THEN maybe think about selling it. It will take you a year or more before your knowledge and skills are worthy. Give it away to friends and get feedback. When they start begging for more cheese, you're almost there.

MarkShelton

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:08:50 AM »
Good advice Sailor! Just about anyone will take a free snack, but when people start lining up and pounding on your door to get some, that's when your in business!
I imagine that the Bulgarian government is a little more "hands-off" when it comes to people selling such things as raw milk and cheese (unlike the volumes of restrictions that the US imposes) or at least that's the impression that I have of Eastern Europe. I've never been there though, so I could be way off.
What is the political atmosphere surrounding the sale of farm products over there, S&Q?

SANDQ

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
Although Bulgaria is a provisional member on the EU, due to corruption here, the EU has said that until this is cleaned up, full membership will not be granted. This does not look as though this is going to happen in the near future! Every Bulgarian who has a dairy animal in the villages makes his own dairy products and freely sells it to whom he pleases. Though not technically legal in member states of the EU, we do not have any of those restrictions yet. 1 of the many reasons we moved here. So as it stands, at the moment I can sell to whom I like. ;D This will change when the EU fully arrives but I will cross that bridge when I come to it! Did you think of a good cheese book I could work from?

MarkShelton

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 01:33:15 PM »
Actually I'm looking for a more in-depth book myself. Right now I have Ricki Caroll's Home Cheese Making and Tim Smith's Making Artisan Cheese, both of which are geared to a beginner, in my opinion.
Check out the section on books. I'm thinking about the one by Margaret Morris. However, I have learned much more from just experience and the experience/advice from other forum members than I think I ever would from a book.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 04:19:06 PM »
I use 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes by Debra Amrein-Boyes more than any, but I always try to compare at least 2 recipes for comparison. Books are just a beginning. It's all about experience.