Author Topic: Kadova Brand Molds - Best Practices  (Read 20075 times)

Cheese Head

Kadova Brand Molds - Best Practices
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:17:46 PM »
In one of member DeejayDebi's posts I noticed that she mentioned that she had accidentally ordered four rather than two 1.5-2 kg Gouda Shaped Kadova molds and asked member Wayne if he wanted to buy them off her.

I immediately asked Debi that If Wayne doesn't go for them then I'd take them, lucky me, he went for his huge stainless steel mold for his monster cheddar and I was lucky second, pictures below. I just put one into service yesterday.

There is another thread on Kadova Brand molds started by Wayne when he first got 1.0 kg Kadova Molds, it has some great info on volumes etc but got off track so this new thread.

First impressions are great, just simplifies pressed cheese type's making stage vs my old self made cheesecloth, PVC hoops, and cut cutting board base and follower. Simplifies as just dump curds in and press, no pulling of cheese cloth, easier to turn during pressing, no square shoulder edge from my old cylindrical shaped pressed cheeses so probably better for waxing or natural rinds, and I put the parts into the dishwasher for simple cleaning. They didn't come with any guide from where Debi bought them and I can't find anything on the manufacturers website, thus this topic.

MANUFACTURER INFO
  • Kadova brand molds are made by Dutch Sonoco Crellin BV, a subsidiary of New York based Sonoco Products Co. I couldn't find any info on Sonoco Products website on Kadova Molds but if you enter Sonoco Crellin's website and go to Products > Kadova Cheesemolds, they have two skimpy web pages, using their search function crashed for me.
  • Some info from this supplier on dimensions of them.

VOLUMES
  • They come mostly in Gouda shapes from small 0.5 kg cheese up to 16 kg.
  • Wayne says with his 1.0 kg molds you can get them up to their rated amount of cheese, but have to squish first curds down then add more to completely fill it.
  • My first use of one of my 1.5-2 kg molds before pressing is with 4 US gallons (15.2 liters) of whole milk, which resulted in a 1.86 kg/4.09 pound Havarti (after brining), so looks like should fit rated 2kg without too much trouble, maybe even a little more.

USING
  • Easy to press down, top of follower is round ring so need something flat to go against it otherwise will leave a dent mark in the plastic.
  • Debi says that if you turn cheese often in early part of pressing then you will be able to avoid ridge from follower, (I wasn't able to do that, so far).
  • Weep holes in follower, work, but then whey drains down side and back onto side of cheese where presumably drain out via mesh.
  • Very easy to turn cheese as mesh is flexible and thus easy to remove and hold cheese.
  • As Wayne says they, appear to be stackable, but then whey from molds above will all have to flow down through lower molds.

CLEANING
  • I found no cheese stuck to liner or follower liner thus I just put in dishwasher to clean.

Anyone have more information, best practices, tips and traps?

susanne

Re: Kadova Brand Molds - Best Practices
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:39:55 PM »
great topic.
this was exactly what lead me to this forum:)
i wanted to learn what's so great about the kadova molds and how to use them that would justify their high price.
i like the shape the cheese get. but is that all?

wharris

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:09:49 AM »
I think that these moulds are fantastic.

To me they make life a lot easier when it comes to curd pressing.  And they make the cheese look very professional. Which is great when you are showing folks your wares.

These moulds really do give wheels of cheese a lot of instant visual appeal for very little effort.

But I am not sure how practical they end up being. When it comes time to actually use the cheese I end up wishing the block was rectangular.

Anyway, I am still holding out for the 10kg one fom here.

susanne

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 01:20:39 AM »
how do you clean the netting?

wharris

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:26:08 AM »
The netting itself is extremely fine, yet stiff, and it is not at all difficult to clean.  My netting is in the form of a removable liner that you can see here.

I simply put the separate pieces in the dishwasher.  But I could just as easy wash by hand with soap and hot water.

The more i look at John's the more I really want to pull the triger on some bigger ones.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 02:53:17 AM »
Has anyone got any experience with the "W49" Kadova-lookalike molds from Glengarry?  These are similar to the Kadova molds but, as Glengarry says, use cheese cloth and are suitable for hobbyists.

-Michael
--
Michael Dow

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 03:51:25 AM »
I prefer the cloth molds over the kadovas.  If the kadovas are new and clean, they work great.  They start to stretch over time and I get really tired of pulling the lid liners off.  Even with a commercial caustic/acid/rinse, they still don't get clean sometimes.  Plus if the curd is slightly off it tends to weep through the nets more than cloth and is more difficult to remove without damaging the rind.

riha

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »
Anybody got an idea of the maximum pressure these molds can take? Can they be used to make cheddar, which I have understood takes very high pressure?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 10:10:30 AM »
We press them at 25 psi all day long.  I'm sure some have mistakenly been pressed up to 85 psi (pre-press), which might be a bit much.  The problem is stretching the nets.  The molds will take cheddar pressure, but the nets will stretch over time and start causing wrinkles etc.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 03:04:21 PM »
I have made cheddar in my 450 gram and 1 kg molds but I am not a heavy presser. I use lighter pressurers for longer periods to get the same effect. I also like to press in the whey for many cheeses to avoid air pockets (mechanical holes) in the cheese.

I also have the Tallego mold but it does not have the netting it's just a big square.

I don't have a dishwasher so I can't say how that works. I imagine after hundreds of uses the netting would stretch some but for the home user that would take years. I am very impressed with thesemolds and can imagine going back to fussing with linens.

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
We press them at 25 psi all day long.  I'm sure some have mistakenly been pressed up to 85 psi (pre-press), which might be a bit much.  The problem is stretching the nets.  The molds will take cheddar pressure, but the nets will stretch over time and start causing wrinkles etc.

Francois is that the pneumatic (air) pressure you are using of actual applied pressure? My new 1.5-2.0 kg molds are 180 mm/7 inch diameter, thus area is 3.14*3.5*3.5 = 38.5 in2, x 25 psi = 961 pounds weight, I'd have thought that that would buckle them, at least the ring at the top!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »
I know they are tough but I don't think they are that tough!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
Upon reflection, I press the 1kgs at 70 psi for a pre-press all the time.  It's 70 on the gauge at the air cylinder, which I'm pretty sure exactly translates to applied pressure on the mold. 

I had some 1kgs in a cheddar press a few weeks back and accidently pressed them at 8 bar before I could reset the pressure, that's like 120 psi.  They are perfectly fine.

The force is applied slowly and uniformly in compression so it's not like we are trying to hand a VW off the edge of a lid.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
Maybe it's the circular design.

Zoey

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »

Am wondering about the Kadova volume issue. So John's saying that the 1kg version holds 1kg only just. And my 10-liter batch usually exceeds 1kg, but not by enough to bring it into the 1,5kg size.

The 1,5-2 kg size is the next one, right?

So does anyone have experience on the minimum side of the 1,5-2kg mold, would it be completely crazy to try using it for 10-liter batches?

I wouldnt wanna go down in batch sizes since I want to go up. But I don't see that I could get any bigger milk-container equipment any time soon...