Author Topic: Hi from Kansas  (Read 3439 times)

cmharris6002

Hi from Kansas
« on: August 30, 2009, 12:06:47 PM »
Hi everyone,

I got into cheese making about six years ago when I got my first goats. This time of year I am making cheese about five days a week, mostly hard pressed cheese.

I am really into the slow food movement. We also have a wood fired brick oven and make wine with our friends who have an amazing vineyard. Bread, cheese and wine, what else would anyone need ;D

Christy

susanne

Re: Hi from Kansas
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 01:13:48 PM »
hi christy,
nice to see you here :)
you will love it. so many fantastic ideas to find. i love making hard cheese too. we just cut one of our parmesan that was aged for two years. you can't buy something like this in the store ;).

cmharris6002

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »
Hi Susanne!

It is great to see you again :) I have yet to age anything two years. With a large family and a steady flow of customers the cheese is cut and gone way too fast. So far the best I've done is a 300 day old cheddar. We love Parmesan and cut it young at six months. Yesterday I made a Parmesan with Lipase L1 (stronger). I have not used the stronger Lipase before, I hope it has a nice flavor.

Did you wax yours or do a natural, oiled rind. I do mostly natural rinds these days.

I am on a mad rush to fill the cave before I dry up the does in December :)

Christy

susanne

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »
it has a wax coating on. i hope to have one with natural rind when the cheese cave is done. need to lok up in my journal how i made it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »
Welcome Christy -

I am hoping to make a goat cheese soon. I am having trouble getting the milk here. There's a ton of information here and wonderful people to share with.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »
Hi Christy and welcome, three great food groups, just missing beer and chocolate ;D.

Looking forward to your experienced input.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »
Hi Christy,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the advice in the Dairying section already.  How many goats do you have? 
Nice looking little goat on your avatar ;D
CC

cmharris6002

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
Nice looking little goat on your avatar
Thanks  :D

I have 17 goats, 14 does and 3 bucks. I milk twice a day for close to 300 days a year. I dry up in Dec. and freshen in Feb. How many goats do you have? Are they all Nubians?

Christy

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
Christy, even though I've seen Wizard of Oz several times (kids), I just realized that Kansas is a state and not a city, (OK I'm a dumb Canuck and never had to memorize all 50 states like kids in US have to do, including ours as we live in Houston), and that you are the first on this forum from that state!

So I've just added a Geographic Type Board in case you or anyone has any local Kansas type info.

Anyway, again welcome.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 12:11:31 AM »
Hi Christy,
We have fourteen goats.  One Toggenberg, two Saanens, two Saanen X Nubians (Snubians), nine Nubian does and a Nubian wether.  We milk twice a day and are currently only milking three (herd expansion mode).  Are you hand milking?
CC

cmharris6002

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:07:37 AM »
I just realized that Kansas is a state and not a city

The first from Kansas, woo hoo!! And, just to confuse you even more, there is Kansas City which is partially in Missouri  ;)

CC,
I have heard great things about Snubians :) I am also in expansion mode. I currently milk six by machine and will freshen 12 this Feb.

Christy

Captain Caprine

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 01:24:02 AM »
Oops,
Obviously I can't add.  We have 15 goats :D
CC

cmharris6002

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:07:24 PM »
They do add up pretty quick  ;D

Christy