Author Topic: Natural Rind - Wild White Geotrichum candidum Mold  (Read 11831 times)

Cheese Head

Re: Natural Rind - Wild White Geotrichum candidum Mold
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 07:31:07 PM »
Couple more this time close up pictures of this white mold, cheeses now older and white mold more pronouced:
  • First picture is my Cheese Making #44 Gouda at 25 days age. Small pattern on rind is from the cheese cloth I used in the hoop while pressing.
  • Second picture is my Cheese Making #46 Havarti with Caraway Seeds at 14 days age. Small pattern on th rind is from the Kadova brand molds liner, large pattern on top is from my course draining/aging mat.

Francoise/Linuxoy and others, now that it's more pronounced, just to confirm for all interested, diagnosis is still native/naturalGeotrichum candidum and probably subspecies Geotrichum candidum 13?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »
Wild geo is somewhat common in the US.  It still looks liek that to me, I'd be happy with that rind.  What does it smell like?

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »
I'd need to isolate in an agar smear and look through a microscope to tell you. Seems like geo from the looks of it. I agree with Francois, that rind looks good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »
Comgrats John that looks great! Goung to be some wonderful cheeses!

Cheese Head

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:08 PM »
Thanks all, appreciate.

The Havarti smells earthy, like an old house's dry (not moldy) wooden basement, didn't smell the Gouda.

Only problem is that while I know they are Caraway Seeds in the Havarti, my subconscious every now and then yells at me that there are bugs baked into that cheese - aaagh - then I fight that thought back down and away!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
Well John they look nice. As long as they don't start to move ...  ;D

FRANCOIS

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
It sounds like the smell is geo.  If you start in frequent washes, dwindling off to just brushes the rind will get thick, rumply and oh so tasty.  It's one of my favorite rinds.  The geo will eventually die off and reveal the wonderful yeats it has been protecting on the rind.  Think comte looking.

Cheese Head

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 11:02:50 PM »
Comte is good ;D.

Thanks Francois, OK, less frequent > no washing > brush them occasionally and let age as long as I can stand it ::).