Author Topic: Natural Rind - Black Fuzzy Mold Spots  (Read 13330 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Natural Rind - Black Fuzzy Mold Spots
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 09:46:23 PM »
I have never seen brown spots before. This is a new one on me. Curious to be sure.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 10:24:36 PM »
If it were my cheese I'd try and let the geo kill it.  That means keep the rind in the same conditions you have the other cheese.  Don't wash it, let the geo get thick.  Maybe give it a soft cloth, dampened in 3%, once a week to spread the geo around.  Physically pick off those spots.  I do get brown/black things on some rinds, but the geo usually chokes it out.

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »
The brown looks like it could be a propionic variant. A P jensenii or freudenreichi can form brownish colonies. What does it smell/taste like? If the cheese has a smooth surface with no cracks to the interior, I wouldn't worry about it. The bacteria, molds, and yeasts will duke it out on the rind. And hey, if you don't like the rind, you can always cook with it or toss it when you crack open the cheese.

[edit] On closer examination, I think the brown is just the dead and oxidized blue infection from earlier. Are the brown spots growing or spreading?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:00:10 PM by linuxboy »

Cheese Head

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »
Thanks for advice!

They are growing, well not in size but in count. Don't know what it tastes like, my sense of smell is poor, no cracks.

I've been good with my temperature but I think this one did get to high a humidity for 2-3 days.

OK no more washing, let geo take more control, if I dig them out this cheese will be a mess as many of them, so if OK I won't and will just let it go on it's own road and will update this thread in another week or so with more pictures.

Thanks again, John!

Alex

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 08:44:48 AM »
I think you can ignore those spots. Look at this 4 months old goats Tomme regularly washed with sarurated salt brine. Naturaly developed Colors, spots and mainly wanderfull smell and taste.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:17:59 AM by Alex »

Cheese Head

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »
Alex, h'mmm so it smelled and tasted great, maybe I'm being too hard on my cheeses, very colourful!

Alex

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 06:48:06 AM »
A very good one, I Hope I'll be successfull next time too.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:26 PM »
beautiful rind Alex!

Alex

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 03:04:34 AM »
To be honest, I was surprized to get this rind as the cheese contains milk, starter culture and rennet only, no molds, no yeasts. The rind was washed with SATURATED !!! brine not 3%.

Baby Chee

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 03:28:21 AM »
This thread just helped my Havarti.  It was getting light-light blue/gray mold on the surface and I used some salt... GONE.