Author Topic: Geotrichum  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Jenellen

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Geotrichum
« on: July 20, 2022, 01:00:50 AM »
Which geotrichum gives the most worm-like growth? Different sites give conflicting information.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Geotrichum
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 04:08:09 PM »
Different strains have different characteristics, but it also depends on the base cheese - you need high moisture to create the brainy look.
"Geotrichum 17, 10 doses:  Geotrichum Candidum 17 is a mold-like strain.  Works great for combination with Penicillium Candidum; great for traditional lactic and bloomy cheeses. It is ideal for the creation of “brainy”/”wormy” looking rustic rinds. It has more texture than Geo 13 and Geo 15 yet has similar flavor strength. It has a similar white color, proteolytic activity, and optimal temperature to Geo 13 but it grows at a faster speed, more like the Geo 15."

Offline Marnicheese

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 12:42:13 AM »
Hello Jenellen,
I also have this question. The only freeze dried geo I can buy locally just produces a furry coat by itself, and works for me only to support P candidum.
Jenellen or anyone, did you find a strain that gives a "wormy" appearance in your experience eg with lactic cheeses? (An Australian source would be great as well.)
Cheers

Offline B e n

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 04:17:55 PM »
You need the moisture content, then time. It takes a while for the cheese to go from smooth to brainy.