Author Topic: Vacuum Plastic Sealing - Large Cheeses  (Read 25618 times)

hplace

Vacuum Plastic Sealing - Large Cheeses
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:54:36 AM »
I have a hand-held battery-operated vacuum sealer that uses special bags with a round valve on the corner where the air is sucked out. The largest bags I can find for it are one gallon size. In order to vacuum seal an 8 pound wheel of cheese, I have to cut it in half. So I went back to waxing. Is there some other system of vacuum packing that allows for larger size bags? For me, the waxing has worked out very well. Very few wheels end up with mold under the wax and the 5 pound blocks of wax on cheesemaking.com for $20 plus shipping will wax a lot of cheese.

siegfriedw

Re: Vacuum Plastic Sealing - Large Cheeses
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »
With the Foodsaver vacuum sealers you can get a roll of plastic and cut the bags to the size you desire. See http://www.foodsaver.com/

I have had one for a few years now and no problems. Not cheap but far less than the commercial vacuum sealing machines.

hplace

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
That's great news! I would much rather vacuum seal than deal with the wax. I will check into foodsaver.

Thanks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:51:09 AM »
You can also buy really large rolls  50 feet long on eBay cheaper than small rolls at the grocery store or WalMart.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:15:13 AM »
I've seen those on E-bay. My "normal" roll is just 18'. Will the 50 footers actually fit into a Foodsaver???

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 03:23:50 AM »
It won't fit in that little pocket, but I pre cut the bags first anyway and just set it aside.

I seal the bags in two directions to make Vacpak TV dinners for quick meals. I do most of my cooking on weekends in the smoker and just portion the foodsaver bags. Then everyone can have whatever they want pretty uch when they want it and I get to rest a bit after work. They microwave well if you just poke a tiny hole in each section and they make great lunchs for work.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:25:03 AM »
PS - make sure you measure the width of your sealer machine some will only take up to 8 inch wide bags and others up to 11 or 15 inch bags.

siegfriedw

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »
Good point - an you want at least the 11 inch wide capability  if you are talking 4 and 5 pound cheeses...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:25:19 PM »
Right! Spend the extra few dollars for the wider machine or you will regret it quickly.

hplace

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »
The machines on foodsaver.com don't seem to indicate how wide they are, but most of them come with 11" rolls or bags, so I assume they are all 11" wide at least. Is there a particular model that is better than another? Looks like the least expensive one is the V2060 model for $79: http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=87&pid=248

It comes with one 11" x 10' roll. Any reason not to go with this model?

wharris

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »
That looks like what i have...

Terfst

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 06:57:05 PM »

My foodsaver cost over $100.00 was great for the first month of constant using but when I stored it with the lid closed I discovered upon opening it up the plastic strip on the top came loose. It is the weakest link in these products. Totally not OK and hard to find a replacement.

My second one I bought at Walmart for around $50.00. Same features as the more expensive one and works just as well. This time I will prop the lid open while storing to prevent the previous experience from happening again. It would have been nice to be forewarned so I am sharing with you.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 03:18:36 AM »
All the foodsaver products are good. I had a seal-a-meal for 30 years but it doesn't vaccum (still works). After I bought the Fod Saver Daisy came out with a vaccuum model.  :o

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 03:38:41 AM »
I've seen those on E-bay. My "normal" roll is just 18'. Will the 50 footers actually fit into a Foodsaver???

I had to seal up three cheee tonight so I thought while everything was out I'd show you the difference in the Normal 8 foot sized rolls and the 50 foot rolls I get on eBay.

And if by chance you have a cheese that won't fit you can cut an end open and seal the edges together to make a wider bag as well.

siegfriedw

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 12:02:41 PM »
Can you give us the link or cost for the 50 foot rolls? are they the same material as the standard Foodsaver rolle - or stronger or weaker?