Author Topic: Reg's Stirred Curd Cheddar  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Reg's Stirred Curd Cheddar
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »
Email with picture sent in by Reg:

Attached is a photo of the stir curd cheddar after final pressing. The wheel ended up being 3" x 8" and weighs 5.16lbs. Will be interesting to see what it weighs after drying and aging.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:50:57 PM by Webmaster »

DaggerDoggie

Re: Reg;s Stirred Curd Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 03:24:40 PM »
That is a really nice looking wheel of cheese.  Reg, how much weight did you use for the final pressing?

reg

Re: Reg's Stirred Curd Cheddar
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:51:40 PM »
hi DD and thanks for the compliment. the final weight was at 50lbs for 12hrs

this wheel is smelling fairly strong at this point. not sure if this is good or bad but think i will give it a rub down with a milder salt solution a little later this morning

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Re: Waxing cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »
Following text and pictures emailed in from reg:

John, attached is a photo of the cheddar I had in vac pac. After close examination DID notice moisture in the vac bag. Removed and waxed the faces of the cheddars and the manchegos. Not a lot of moisture off the manchego though. Will let them continue to natually dry more before vac packing in three or four more weeks

Did take a sample off each one and they are each starting to develop some decent flavours. Its amazing how milk can be made to taste so different with such subtle differences in recipes.

Have a good one

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »
Reg

Black wax looks fun, I assume you waxed only the cut face (where you took sample) as the rest already has a rind from brining?

reg

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
morning CH, yes just waxed the faces. this cheese was not brined but the salt was added according to the recipe. just checked my notes and i remember saying that the cheese had a fairly strong smell and it looks like i wiped it down with a salt brine. i have to keep better records !

reg

Tea

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:37:26 PM »
Wax what a great looking cheese.  I just purchased some black and red wax, but they arrived to late for me to use of the last lot of cheese.
Hope these ones turn out well for you.