Author Topic: Need help identifying a type of cheese!  (Read 2219 times)

swerdna

Need help identifying a type of cheese!
« on: September 02, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
For many years I have been trying to determine what type of cheese I ate while studying abroad in France. My French host mother served us a type of cheese that had been packaged in individual triangle shaped cups as an appetizer before lunch. This cheese was very soft; you could cut it with a fork, and it was very creamy in texture. My host mom sprinkled chopped chive over the top. If this helps, I was located in Limoges, France, which is in the region Limousin.
Thanks so much for your help,
Laura

FRANCOIS

Re: Need help identifying a type of cheese!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
It was probably Valencay or Pouligny (or a close copy), which originated just north of Limoges.  They are both pyramid shaped goat cheeses.

Cheese Head

Re: Need help identifying a type of cheese!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 05:35:19 PM »
swerdna, welcome to this forum!

Here's a picture coincidentally of both Valencay and Pouligny Cheeses, both are pyramid shaped.

The soft creamy cheese you ate as an appetizer:
  • Was it a locally produced from a local market or mass manufactured more store bought type cheese?
  • Was the shape a pyramid-triangle like in the picture linked above or was it more a cheese wedge kind of triangle?
  • Was the "cup" a china type reusable material or disposable plastic or a cheese mold with slots?
  • Did you take it out of the cup and share/divide or was it in individual portions, everyone gota triangle?

There's many pictures of French cheeses here at this Versaille market. While north of Limoges, maybe one will jog your memory? Also this picture has fresh chopped chives on it.