Author Topic: clherestian & Alex's Semi-Lactic Cow's Milk Cheese  (Read 12346 times)

clherestian

Re: clherestian & Alex's Semi-Lactic Cow's Milk Cheese
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
My next try at these was more successful in that they didn't develop the toad skin. I believe this was due to draining the curds for almost 24 hours and then packing them into the forms instead of draining for only an hour or so.

I also cut down the amount of starter, which improved the taste. For two gallons of milk, I used a little under 1/8 tsp of MM100.

There is one thing I don't like about the cheese body. It was a little too "airy." P. Dixon says to drain at 68-72 deg F, and that the higher temps promote gas production. Mine were at least 72 deg most of the time and for several hours were 75+ because the oven was being used and it was hot outside.

I made these for the fourth time yesterday. Now that is has cooled down outside, I set my thermostat to 70 so the cheese should be exactly that temp the whole time. We'll see if that improves the consistency of the body.

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Moved
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
Moved Kelley's post on Morbier cheese to new thread.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: clherestian & Alex's Semi-Lactic Cow's Milk Cheese
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »
Hi.  I know this thread is old but I have been having similar issues so thought I would give it a go...

I have had many attempts at getting my crottins to drain properly but nearly always end up with a cheese that is too moist and a breakdown layer under the skin.  I am wondering what the critical rennetting and drain points are for this type of cheese?

I add culture usually an MA series, add CaCl then add a very small amount of rennet an hour or so later.  Let it mature overnight then scoop into mould the next day.  Sometimes I get a lot of whey on top of the curd before scooping and sometimes not.

Draining takes at least 2 days.  Being high rainfall high humidity area I drain in a 20oC air con room but even so I still get rind formation before the cheese is adequately drained.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Paul.