Author Topic: Cheese Cloth - Plyban  (Read 13830 times)

siegfriedw

Cheese Cloth - Plyban
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:51:08 AM »
My understanding is that this is a synthetic (plastic ) cheesecloth. Does any one have a source to buy this other then Hoeggers (2 pieces at a time).

Cheese Head

Re: Cheese Cloth - Plyban
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:23:27 AM »
Good question, member DeejayDebi recently bought a 50 sheet packet of this plastic cheesecloth. Sounds like the same thing? Don't know if she's used it yet.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:47:24 AM »
I love mine. Can you say... "No More Sticking."

Not sure if this is Phyban or not, but I bought mine from New England Cheese Supply. Described as a disposable cheesecloth. Not the case. I find that it is holding up as well or better than cloth. Cleans up really nice too.

siegfriedw

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
John and Sailor,

Thanks for the info. I'd ordered form both those places before - just did not see it as I was looking for "plyban". Did not realize  that the "disposable cheeescloth" was the same thing.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »
In looking at the NE Cheesemaking website, the disposable cheesecloth looks much more fragile than plyban is.

I ordered plyban from Hoegger's last year and absolutely loved it.  Then, when my cow was dry (so not making cheese), I had put it away in a plastic bag for this year's cheesemaking.  Well, in a moment of udder (er, utter) stupidity, when I was cleaning out my cupboard, I looked at that "bag of plastic bags" and decided I didn't need to be so cheap as to "save plastic bags" and threw it away.

Two months later, when I was frantically (sp?) trying to find my plyban, it finally dawned on me that I threw it away.  I felt like such a fool.

I need to order more, just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I'd be more driven to it if I were having trouble with my cheese sticking to the cloth, but haven't had that problem lately.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »
seigfriedw, I don't know if the product I linked above from Glengarry is Plyban brand.

They describe it as:
Cheese bandage netting: Re-usable plastic sheet. To use in cheese hoop or mould. Leaves a nice rind on the cheese.
So I understand that it replaces a cotton cheesecloth as a mold/hoop liner and as presumably thinner, it leaves less fold lines on pressed cheeses. But I don't understand the description of "Cheese bandage netting", can it be used instead of fine cheesecloth as a bandage wrap with lard for aging pressed cheeses in?

siegfriedw

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »
Thanks -  I just now went ahead and ordered a couple of sheets from Hoeggers since I needed to order some other supplies from them anyway.

I am still well stocked with cultures and  will probably wait till spring when I do my next big order for rennet/ cultures etc with one of the cheesemaking supply places.

If they say it can be used for bandaging I guess it will work although I wonder if it would be as good as cloth for bandaging since the plastic would not absorb the lard like real cheesecloth?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 03:02:22 PM »
The disposable sheets from NECS may not be as thick (and may not be called Plyban), but they have held up pretty well. I just throw mine in the washer. When they finally wear out, I may look into the real Plyban.  :D

cmharris6002

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
 Plyban just doesn't seem wear out. I still have the first sheets I bought from Hoeggers years ago.

It is fairy smooth on one side and textured on the other to promote rind development. You only need one sheet for each press if you make more than one pressed cheese at a time.

It washes quickly and is easy to sanitize in bleach water. Do not put it in boiling hot water, it will melt.

Christy

siegfriedw

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »
Thanks Christy.

Just so that I know when I receive it next week -  which side is supposed to go on the inside (facing the cheese) the smooth or the other?

cmharris6002

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »
The side with the texture goes next to the cheese. You will love how the texture looks on the rind, very professional :)

Christy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 05:34:29 AM »
I haven't used the stuff I bought yet. It's rather thin compared to the kadova mold lining but seems pretty tough. It looks alot like window screen maybe a bit finer and smooth on one side but textured on the other.

I plan on using it for serval different things one of which is shelves for drying cheeses after brining. We shall see. I got 50 sheets 14 x 44 for $30. I also want to try using it for lard bandaging.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 04:56:56 AM »
Deb - where did you get you 14" x 44" plyban? I am looking for wider sizes. Any suggestions?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:25:59 PM »
Sailor I don't know what this is. It's called Cheese bandage netting. I got it from Glengarry. They have bigger sheets as well. I am wondering if this stuff could be  sealed in the Food saver to make different shapes. I'll have to try that when I get a chance.

http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/accessories.htm

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 01:27:28 AM »
Now THAT'S a heck of an idea. I'm going to try this with some Plyban on my new impulse sealer.