Author Topic: Cheese Cloth - Plyban  (Read 13879 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Cheese Cloth - Plyban
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 01:47:14 AM »
Maybe we could make our own kadova like mould bags?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 04:11:55 AM »
OK. Just made 3 Plyban cylindars on the impulse sealer. WOW, this was really easy and worked like a charm. I cut the Plyban to the correct size, overlapped the edges, and sealed. With a couple of adjustments, this would also be very easy do do on a FoodSaver. The advantage of the impulse sealer is that it is open on one end. All I have to do now is sew on a round bottom and I have a Plyban hoop bag. I don't know what a Kadova looks like, but this technique has some real possibilities.  :o

Pic 1 - Ready to seal on the impulse sealer
Pic 2 - The finished cylindar
Pic 3 - Closeup of the heat sealed seam.

Tropit

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'm going to look for the Plyban.  I also use the "disposable cheesecloth" from New England Cheese Supply and I love it.  Like everyone else, I just throw it in the washing machine and air dry it to use again and again.  It does eventually wear out though.

~Cindy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 01:04:16 AM »
Hey that looks alot like that plastic cheese cloth I bought from Glengarry maybe it is plyban. Much cheaper though. I gues we know now. It works!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 01:40:29 AM »
The disposable cheesecloth is not the same thing at all. The Plyban is MUCH more pliable and lasts longer. You get far fewer wrinkle marks with Plyban. I got mine from Hoegar's Goat Supply. Good price, but I need some larger for bigger hoops.

Deb - when you feel Plyban, one side is silky smooth and one side has a pebble like finish.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »
The plastic stuff does too. Looks like the hole are pushed through or something.

Alice in TX/MO

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 03:17:47 AM »
I'm dredging this thread up because it answered some of my questions.  I used plyban on two cheddars for the first time this week.  This is also the first time I've had mold show up while air drying the rind after the cheese first comes out of the mold. 

The itty bitty bumps of textured surface that form on the cheese surface because of the mesh of the plyban...... is that a concern as a spore catcher?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 03:33:58 AM »
The tiny holes will collect moisture but it doesn't seem to be a problem after brining they smooth out. I love using this stuff on my molds that would normally require cheese cloth. I just cut a circle for the top and bottom and don't even use it on the sides anymore. Now that won't work for really soft curds but semi firm to hard cheeses no problem.

John did you ever try the sheets I sent you?

BTW I've been reusing the same sheet over and over. I suspect this batch I bought will out live me.