Author Topic: Raw Cow's Milk - Questions?  (Read 8161 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Raw Cow's Milk - Questions?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:43 AM »
Francous you are right on- as usual! I LOVE their milk! Best tasting Milk I had since I was a kid. And LOTS of cream just like ours was. She will test my stainless steel jugs before she lets me bring them in to fill them. I haven't met him yet just the "aunts."

She's do for her first baby any day if she hasn't dropped it already.

pamaples

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 03:38:37 AM »
Francois, I certainly agree that organic feed lot dairies are no better than their non-organic counterparts. I don't patronize them either.

However, I am afraid I must disagree with you on the topic of chemicals in milk. Milk from BGH-injected cows is more likely to contain dangerous residues of the more than 80 different drugs, many of them antibiotics, used as daily maintenance and to treat sick cows. The FDA and the dairy industry claim that they test milk for drug contamination. But this testing is wholly inadequate. They only look for a few of the scores of drugs actually administered to dairy cows. Furthermore, the FDA allows drug-contaminated milk to be sold as long as the residues are at a “safe” level. These so-called “safe” levels have been shown to cause increases in drug resistant strains of virulent diseases. So for example, if you drank milk that had residues of eurythymicin in it, then bacteria in your stomach could pick up resistance to that eurythymicin so that if you came down with an illness you wouldn't be able to use eurythymicin to treat it. From infancy to adulthood, people are dosed with antibiotic residues that contaminate baby formula, milk, cheese, and other dairy products.

And as for bovine growth hormone (which is still used extensively in America):
Monsanto is the giant chemical company which sells the synthetic hormone under the brand name Posilac. Monsanto has consistently rejected the concerns of scientists around the world. It's the company position that milk produced by injecting cows with Prosilac is safe, despite scientific studies which show the milk we're getting from BGH-treated cows has a higher level of IGF-1. IGF-1 is a hormone almost identical to human growth hormone. At normal levels it is the hormone responsible for normal human growth. At higher levels it is believed to promote cancer.

Keep in mind that:
Monsanto is the same company that convinced the government that PCB’s were safe. Those were put inside electrical conductors and florescent light ballasts for years until researchers in Japan and Sweden showed serious hazards to human health and the environment. And you've heard of Agent Orange, 2-4-5-T, the defoliant that the United States used in Vietnam? Monsanto convinced the government it, too, was safe. It was later proven to be extremely harmful to humans, and a government investigator found what she said was "a clear pattern of fraudulent content in Monsanto's research" which led to approval.

In the case of BGH, Monsanto was required to promptly report all complaints from farmers. In the Florida study area, dairyman Charles Knight, among others, says he was complaining loud and clear that Posilac was decimating his herd with serious udder infections and hoof and hock and tumor problems. He had to replace 75% of his herd. But four months later he found the company had not passed a one of his complaints to the FDA as required.

Yada, yada, yada... Sorry about the rant but I am simply against endangering the worlds food supply in the name of increased profits for agribusiness.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 04:39:56 AM »
Yes it is a complicated topic and yes, federal liscensing, transport and sales of milk is different than state level.   I never have had a federal licensce but I can tell you in the state I had a dairy, it was completely illegal to sell any milk with antibiotics in it and each load from each farm was tested.  This is industry standard.  The levels to set off the antibiotic tests are 1 part per billion.  I suppose if you had lower levels than that it would show clear.  I was also required to sample every batch of milk processed into cheese, even if it had been previously tested at the farm.  Lastly, I challenge you to make cheese with antibiotic contaminated milk, it simply doesn't work at all or you get an unuseable mess.

I am also no fan of Monsanto and I'm sure some herds use rBGH but I know first hand that in my state only 1 herd used it up util last year. 

My main point was really that you should know where your milk comes from if you want to really know the quality of it and that no one producer or part of the industry can be broadly brush stroaked as "bad". 

siegfriedw

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
Francois- you some good points that  I have to agree with. The key one being know your farmer :-) if you are buying from the farm.

My other point was against some of the retail stores- and I agree that you cant broadly say one part of the industry is bad - while the processing may be controlled and tested you don't know what happens from the time it leaves the bottling plant until it actually ends up on the cooler shelf.

pamaples

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »
Thanks for the input Francois; and you are right. It all boils down to knowing the source of food and how it is handled, knowing the chemical companies involved and their reputations, and in the case of factory farming, knowing the cruelty inflicted on the animals.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:43:57 PM by pam »

MrsKK

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
For someone who is trying to have their cheeses be consistent from season to season, the differences in raw milk throughout the year could be a concern.  I personally enjoy the rhythms of the year that I am now starting to see related to the milking year as well.

We have a newish neighbor who is running an organic dairy.  I wouldn't buy milk that I knew came from his farm.  He is in it just to get the money - bought an old dairy farm that is very rundown and only did the minimum to get his cows in there.  Regulations say that they have to "graze" for a certain number of hours a day, but he has about 40 cows on 3 acres of barely-to-be-seen grass.

Last year, we called animal control because he had two draft horses in a round pen that was about 15 feet across with a round bale in the center of it.  The horses were halfway up their legs in manure and mud.  The heifers in the next pen were in just about as bad an environment.

"Organic" is a term that has made a few people rich because the "masses" aren't aware.  It doesn't mean clean, healthy and natural by any means.

pamaples

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 02:37:09 AM »
You are so right. Why are humans like this? Never mind, I know the answer.

Pam

goatherdess

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 02:01:42 PM »
At our local Farm Bureau Co-op the bovine growth hormones are sold. Both for dairy and meat, in varying dosages, on one of those freestanding wire racks that turn. The bolus injectors are sold on a shelf next to the rack. Now if they are selling them, then local farmers are buying them. There is a large dairy processing plant just 35 miles down the road from us. Makes me so grateful for our herd of goats.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »
That's why "ORGANIC" has become such a marketing scam. Unless you know the farmer, you can't tell the good from the bad. Most small farms in Kentucky are no longer trying to be "certified organic" because they feel that their best practices don't always agree with the rules. Case in point is the cow herd mentioned above "grazing" on just 3 acres of bare grass. That's NOT organic or even humane, yet they claim to be an organic dairy.

I got into cheese making after reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. It chronicles her family's journey of eatting ONLY local food for a year. Simple? Not at all. Can't get fresh local tomatoes in January. Bananas are out of the question. It's a great read and changed the way that we look at our food sources.

pamaples

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »
I think I am an antique. I try to not eat or feed my family any processed foods whatsoever. I get grains in bulk, have my own egg, raise a cow for meat every 2 or 3 years and grow vegetables. I can't even remember the last fast food restaurant I ate at. I think it was in the 70's.

It is hard to eat only local food year round because people don't plant gardens and put up food the way my mom and grandma did. I do to some extent, but not the way I used to since my kids grew up and moved away. I used to can and freeze lots of veggies and fruit, stored cabbage, onions, squash, and apples, etc. and we ate those in the winter. (I can hear you thinking “that’s great if you don’t have to earn a living…” I owned and operated a white water rafting business during that time as well as being a single mom; very full time job!)

People in cities can't do this kind of subsistence farming anymore even if they knew how; there is no room and the soil is bad. So they have become dependant on the food industry. The food industry loves this. Did you know that there are food deserts in this country? City folks can’t even choose to eat locally grown food because we no longer have urban areas surrounded by the farms that supported them like in the 40’s. We have allowed all of the good farm land surrounding cities to become developed. The organic movement was great when it started but it has become an industry just the same as the rest.

It’s a shame and I don’t know what is to be done about it this late in the game.

Maybe we need to move this to a thread called futile ranting…

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 09:35:34 PM »
Pam, I'm an old hippie kayaker - been all over the world doing crazy stuff. Decided to back off after the Class 5-6 stuff got too "easy". So I kicked back, took up sailing and here I am making cheese. I love it. Where was your rafting company?

pamaples

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
We were in West Virginia, USA. We ran the New, Bluestone, and Gauley Rivers. I did that for 15 years. As far  as dairy products go, I only made yogurt then, having no time for cheese making. I am trying that now.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »
Wow. Small world. I have boated all over WV, but never got around to the Bluestone. What was your company called? I know several owners or previous owners.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 12:47:02 AM »
We were in West Virginia, USA. We ran the New, Bluestone, and Gauley Rivers. I did that for 15 years. As far  as dairy products go, I only made yogurt then, having no time for cheese making. I am trying that now.

I want to move to West Virginia when  retire! I love it there!

pamaples

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 12:57:27 AM »
Almost Heaven Debi.... I may move back later to retire, maybe start a goat dairy.... still have land there.... hmmm

It was New River Scenic Whitewater Tours. We were based in Hinton and had an outpost in Glen Jean, near the Gorge. The Bluestone was seasonal and when we were flooded off the Gorge, we went there as it was in our back yard. A very remote very steep class 5 river at flood stage.