Author Topic: Raw Cow's Milk - Questions?  (Read 8162 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Raw Cow's Milk - Questions?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 01:15:38 AM »
Pam -

I play John Denver in my car everyday. Reminds me why I have to go to work everyday. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 02:16:07 AM »
ALMOST Heaven??? Why did you leave??? The Bluegrass of Kentucky is on the edge of the mountains just 3 hours from Fayette Station. My favorite run in that area was the Upper Meadow, although the gorge at 9 feet was a hoot.

So, Pam, did you ever eat at Country Roads Inn near Summersville? Old colonial house in the middle of nowhere owned by an Italian family. No menu. 5 course meal of whatever she felt like cooking that day. No liquor license so they GAVE you all the wine you could drink. Back when it was just $20 for the entire meal. Great Italian food. Always started with wine, cheese and Italian appetizers.

I don't recall ever seeing a single goat anywhere in WV.

Deb - John Denver was just a WV wannabe from Colorado. ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 03:18:29 AM »
Well I just a WV wannbe from Connecticut!

I have eatten at Coutry Roads! Great food and wonderful folks!

pamaples

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 04:05:39 AM »
Never ate there; always too busy cooking food for my own guests! Why I left is a long story not suitable for this discussion board. I used to teach swift water rescue with the boys from Class VI and the Park Service on the middle Meadow at lower water.

The Gorge at 27ft now THAT's a hoot!
I am one of the few people who have successfully run Sandstone Falls -27 ft drop (on purpose) in a raft. New was about 30 or so ft above normal that day.

We keep the goats hidden!

Debi, I get to WV quite often. Perhaps we will see each other there. It's not a big state.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
Very, VERY cool. That's the highest gorge run I have heard of. Makes me feel like a wimp. Ever do the Blackwater? I used to be a safety boater for Southeastern on Section IV of the Chattooga (Georgia). Forest Service requires at least one hard boater with every raft trip. So I would always be in the lead to set up ropes in a couple of tricky places. You get good really quickly doing that every day at every water level with no backup. Who rescues the safety boater? Nobody.... Damn, I'm gonna be nostalgic all day now. Almost Heaven, West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River..... hum ...... hum .....

OK, back to cheese stuff. This probably should be a new topic (Oh, Moderator?) but...

Can a restaurant like Country Roads Inn make and serve their own cheese legally? Especially if they don't charge for it. I know of several that do Mozz & Ricotta on the sly, but hard cheese is beyond their abilities. In the case of Country Roads, cheese is not on the menu. They give it to you as a part of the one price dinner package. They give you wine because they don't have a liquor license. So how would cheese be any different?

As many of us mere mortals have discovered, it is generally very difficult to get thru the bureaucratic hoops to be able to sell cheese the public. But, what if I were a contract employee for a restaurant, or 2, or 3. I would be making cheese for the restaurant and not the public per se.