Author Topic: Cheese Making Book Recommendations?  (Read 3029 times)

Zoey

Cheese Making Book Recommendations?
« on: September 04, 2009, 08:36:06 AM »

I was thinking books. Only I don't know which ones. :)

Alex

Cheese Making Book Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:22:24 AM »
Try these Zoey:

Of course you do not need "Automata and Mechanical Toys" ;D, this is another hobby of mine.

Cheese Head

Re: Cheese Making Book Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
Zoey, I split your post and Alex's reply into a new thread as good separate topic.

There are many books reviewed in our Library. To sort them for more modern and currently available books, just click on column heading labelled "Subject"and they will all sort by date.

Sorry, but too many members active right now, so I don't remember what "level" you are at or if you have any books yet to give any recommendation.

Zoey

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »

Thanks.
What I was trying to ask about is whether there are any books that concentrate on unwanted molds and other microflora.
I checked the library but didn't find any in there, at least not such that they could be identified by their names to contain such information.

Maybe there aren't any of that specific nature? Especially when I actually need something easy-to-follow beginner-friendly...

Alex

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:57:27 PM »

Thanks.
What I was trying to ask about is whether there are any books that concentrate on unwanted molds and other microflora.
I checked the library but didn't find any in there, at least not such that they could be identified by their names to contain such information.

Maybe there aren't any of that specific nature? Especially when I actually need something easy-to-follow beginner-friendly...

I would suggest to begin with the yellow book. Although there are no color pictures, it is avery friendly book, with plenty of information.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
Zoey, sorry for splitting you post off, I thought you were looking for general books.

Zoey

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 06:40:11 AM »

Trying to awake this thread again...

So I was actually referring to books discussing mold issues, as in John's posts about white deposits and black fuzzy mold spots.

It seems we have a couple of mold-gurus on the forum, but I wonder if the information is only available by trial and error, or are there books, internet resources or other sources in which I could find more info on those?

It seems that knowing what mold is what is really crucial to getting your cheese right. From what Francois has said in the other threads, it seems it is also crucial to know how to fight each mold, and how to not kill the ones you want. Still it seems that the basic books, internet recipes and so on don't discuss these.

I feel I'm missing some necessary information that I can't do without.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:38:59 AM »
I think aging and mold growth are two areas that are pretty limited in most books. I have learned through trial and eror and the fine folks here ahve taught me al lot as well.

handyface

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
I can heartily recommend Katie Thear's book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheesemaking-Dairying-Making-Cheese-Yoghurt/dp/0906137330/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256571421&sr=8-5).

It's very straight-forward and although some of the recipes seem a bit off (notably camenbert!) it's helped me no end.

McGee on Food & Cooking also has a section on cheese making which is interesting.

sputicus

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 12:08:21 AM »
Just wanted to throw in my current favorite: Making Artisan Cheese:
50 Fine Cheeses That You Can Make in Your Own Kitchen by Tim Smith.

It has enough pretty pictures that you are excited to try to make the cheese in question, and enough description of the technique that you should be able to successfully make cheese.

I wrote up a review of it on my cheesemaking blog.