Author Topic: Cream Cheese Recipe  (Read 11006 times)

Tea

Re: Cream Cheese Recipe
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
No problem, i will send over the troups.  They will eat you out of house and home in a day or so.   :D

Maybe you need to throw a couple of parties, and serve cheese and wine only.  Just a thought.

brent

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 05:00:36 AM »
Hi Cheese Head, my apologies that I didn't reply to this post, I missed it somehow.
Well I just wanted to update on this cheese.  Even though it thawed well, with no apparent lumpies, it didn't want to be stirred at all, and after a few gentle stirs did curdle.  :(   I made up a new batch last week, and this time it curdled straight up front, which surprised me.  Maybe the cream wasn't as fresh as the last lot, maybe my daughter stired it to long, I'm not sure, but the end result is, that even though this gives a beautiful rich cream, it appears that it is too tempermental to give good consistant results for cooking.  It would work well as a spread on bagels etc, as there is a definate "cultured butter" flavour that comes through.

So I experiemented again on the weekend.  Recipe this time.

900ml milk
300ml cream  ratio 3:1
Type A culture
approx .35ml rennet (liquid rennet rate of .5ml per 2 ltr)

Heated milk and cream to setting temp of 32C added culture, stirred well.  Added rennet stirred well.
Allow to set for 12-15 hours.
Poured into fine cheese cloth, and hung for 12 hours, working bag occassionally.

These amount yielded almost double the amount of whey the full cream one did, and was much softer in consistancy.
Final weight of cheese was just over 300gr or 10-11 oz.
Made up a desert last night and treated if fairly roughly, and it seemed to hold up well, with no signs of curdling.

Will make this up again, and report again, on any changes that I may find.
Here is my cheese.

hi im going to have a go at this recpie in the next couple of days but i have 2 questions
1/ i am useing renco rennet the box says 7 mls per 10 ltrs milk i am useing 2x900mls milk (1.8 ltr) and 2x 300 mls cream ( 600 mls) so is about 3 mls for 2ltrs correct

2/ i am makeing starter from buttermilk how much (in mls ) for 2 ltrs milk/cream

sorry if this is a silly question but this is my first rennet cheese so i want to get it right
cheers
brent

Cheese Head

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 12:12:57 PM »
brent

I've never used your rennet and basically you have to just try and then adjust amounts next time. You have 2.4 litres (0.63 US gallon) total of milk & cream x 7 ml/10 litres manufactures recommended dosage = 1.68 ml. But I believe cream takes more rennet than milk, so I'd guesstimate 2-2.5 ml of your rennet if you are using pasteurized cow's milk with CaCl2, and yes I'd use 3 ml if you don;t have any CaCl2. In my experience it is not critical in Cream Cheese and similar Neufchatel recipe as rennet just aids in whey expulsion, which you will get from hanging the cheese anyway. More critical is how long you hang to allow cultures to grow.

On using ripened buttermilk as your mesophilic starter culture, the goal is to introduce lots of "correct" energetic bacteria to get the cream cheese flavor. Thus the amount of ripened buttermilk is less important than it's strength. On amount, this Cream Cheese Recipe says to use 125 ml for 2 litres cream, and the Neufchatel Recipe says to use 60 ml for 2 liters milk. Tea's recipe you quoted is roughly 1/2 way between these two, so I guesstimate 100 ml of highly ripened buttermilk, (freeze the rest for later use).

Hope helps and let us know your results, problems and all if want like I do :D.

Tea

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »
Brent Cheese Head has give you some pretty good advice here.  Hope it turns out for you.  I have made this numerous times with success.  Let us know how it turns out.

brent

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
thanks gents
looks like my estimates were just about right ive had the buttermilk out for about 14 hours (overnight ) ill give it another few now its warmer looks like thick yoghurt now then get started
will let you know how it goes (where is the best place to post success /falure reports on here) i dont want to fill the recipie thread with my chatter

Tea

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:46 PM »
I don't see why you can't post your findings here.  If it not the appropiate place, the webmaster will move it for you.
Best of luck.

brent

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 09:04:16 PM »
ok will do

Cheese Head

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 11:13:03 PM »
Hi brent, if you don't mind, I find it best to start a new thread for each cheese making as others have done in the appropriate board, this one for your half Cream, half Neufchatel cheese. That way it helps keep you organized and easier read for other viewers who are learning from your tricks and traps ;).

brent

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
thanks  ;D ;D

Michelle

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 10:50:10 PM »
Hi Brent
Just wondering where you got your buttermilk from?  Can you buy this in the supermarket?

Cheers,
Michelle

Tea

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
Michelle, I live in Australia, but yes we can buy it here in the supermarket.  It is usually with the milks.

HTH

brent

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
same here in nz most supermarkets stock it