Thanks for all the tips.
So....here's what I did:
- I had two, small, 3" wheels of jack that had air dried for about 2 days.
- I had been soaking the washed fig leaves in vermouth and gin for a few days prior, (before you all gave me other great ideas.)
- I then took the leaves out of the marinade, washed them again and put them n boiling water for about 20 mins. The leaves stayed somewhat firm and green, but did oxidize a little and were more pliable to work with. The water looked a figgy brown and really smelled like figs...cool!
- After that, I wrapped up the cheeses and dropped each wheel back in the marinade for about an hour. (What the he**...sounded good at the time.)
- They are now curing in a plastic box with a paper napkin in there to absorb the extra moisture. I unwrapped one today to check for mold...none yet, fingers crossed. They smell heavenly!