Tough news on not getting a clean break
, sorry, I'm sad for you
1) All I use is cheap store bought past & homogenized whole cow's milk at USD2 per US gallon and get good curd sets. I check the expiry dates and buy the freshest, so I don't think the milk is the problem.
2) CaCl2, that's the rate I use of my pre-diluted solution
, if you click on the picture you can read the "brand". I assume yours is similarly diluted.
3) Rennet, personally I think here is the problem, if you search this forum on "tablet" from the homepage you will find many questions and problems with rennet tablets and Junket brand rennet tablets. This thread
is also interesting. I'd up your dosage to 3/4 tablet or buy some liquid rennet.
4) That is at low end of range for rennet activation, next time yes up temp by 2-4 degrees.
5) How did you add your rennet
, pre-dilute in no chlorine water, thoroughly mix in to milk?
6) What about starter culture, what did you use and how long did you allow it to pre-ripen?
Lastly, good move on the queso type cheese, another road would have been Neufchatel
, which is basically a low fat milk based cream cheese.
Hope helps . . . John.