Author Topic: Hi from Colorado!  (Read 2287 times)

mtncheesemaker

Hi from Colorado!
« on: September 06, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »
Hell-o All!
So happy to have found this group. I live in a small town in SW Colorado and am lucky enough to have access to fresh Jersey cow, goat and sheep milk in season.
I started out making yoghurt a couple of years ago, and graduated to cheeses. I'm self-taught from books but have found a few fellow cheese-heads here, too. I've been making a lot of Camembert type cheeses this summer, which turns out to be easier than I thought. Also make Cheddar which I think is a lot of work! I would like to explore the world of Tomme, which I don't exactly understand yet.
Also make Feta, ricotta, Chevre regularly, and just got some culture to make Mozzarella.
Thanks for all the information on the subject of cheese!
Pam

Captain Caprine

Re: Hi from Colorado!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 04:38:40 PM »
Hi Pam,
Welcome to the forum ;D
We have been toying with the idea of adding a couple of dairy sheep to our herd, so I look forward to your post talking about your experiences working with sheep milk.
Again welcome!
CC

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Pam!
Your gonna love it here - everyone is so friendly and helpful. Don't forget the pictures everyone loves pictures!

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes! As soon as I find my camera, I'll send some pics.
Haven't experimented too much with the sheep milk yet, mostly ricotta and yoghurt which tastes like Creme Fraiche. I have frozen about 16 gallons to use when things slow down here. Right now it is canning season and soon to be wine-making. So much for retirement!
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »
When/if I ever retire I think I will work myself to death! I have so many plans for my hobbies I haven't figured out time for rest.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 12:37:22 AM »
Hi Pam and welcome to the forum!

pamaples

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »
Hi Pam,
Welcome! Where might you be in SW colorado? I get up that way every once in a while. Pagosa Springs usually, sometimes Idaho springs for fishing with Dad. I would like to talk with you about hard goat cheeses made at altitude. I seem to have issues with either altitude or aridness. (Aridness, is that a word?) Not sure which.

Pam (too)

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »
Hi Pam Too;
I am in Paonia which is west of Carbondale. We're at about 5600 here. I have never made adjustments for altitude but lack of humidity is definitely a problem. I ripen my soft cheeses in plastic boxes, haven't had a problem with hard cheeses. I usually don't wax but have a natural rind.
Where are you, the front range?
Pam

pamaples

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:58:57 AM »
No, no, much further down. I am in NM just south of Albuquerque. 5000 ft here, Rio Grande valley; good farm land for the high desert. My brother-in-law's family has a cabin in the Arapaho Nat'l forest and my dad (from out east) and I meet there once a year to raid the trout streams in the area. Every time I do geophysics in northern New Mexico anywhere near Pagosa Springs I always try to stay within soaking distance!

I have my own goats and use raw milk. I don't have any problems with soft cheeses, my problem is with hard cheese is; it dries out almost immediately. Almost every hard cheese I have tried to make turns out dry enough to be grated as Parmesan. I am consistant at least! My exception was a mozzarella. It was less dry and actually melted a little when heated but I burn my hands trying to stretch it and need to find a better way.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 01:43:07 AM »
Pam -

Do you have a vaccuum sealer? Try sealing your hard cheeses early on and rubbing with olive oil.

When you make mozzarella wear those heavy dish washing gloves it helps.