Author Topic: North Dakota checking in....  (Read 1465 times)

Baby Chee

North Dakota checking in....
« on: September 07, 2009, 01:49:28 PM »
After being a beer homebrewer for years, I threw my hand to cheese.
A few days ago I made my first Gouda wheel...

At present, 2 Gouda are drying after brine, one is brining presently, and a fourth is waiting for a clean break.  ^-^ Yeh.
Tomorrow I switch to 3 gallons of milk going to Camembert.
Can't wait to find out how they taste... in months.  Living in a small town (38 people) in North Dakota farmland, you would imagine it easy to find good, fresh, local farm milk, but all the small milk farms have packed up in the surrounding 60 miles due to the wealth of land when used for crop production.  All the dairy in the area is in Minnesota or farther west where the hillier land is used for huge grazing herds.  Pity.  So, I use regular whole milk from Sam's Club.  -_-; Ach.

It's an exciting hobby: making food with more complex chemical preparation than normal cooking.

I'll be asking some questions about propagating bacteria.  I have a full brewing set up with pressure cooker, agar glass dishes, etc.  B. Linens is high on my list to propagate, since it is so expensive to buy. 

Future cheeses I want to make in the next months: Cheddar, Havarti, Brie, Neufchatel.

It's great to find a forum with lots of information and enthusiastic craftsman!

Cheese Head

Re: North Dakota checking in....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
Hello Baby Chee and welcome to the forum! Nice looking set up.

Camembert will give you results in 1 month, so far my tries have not done well, several of my records in that Board.

Most of my problems come in the aging not the making stage.

Have fun!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
Hello Baby Chee -

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a great supplie of goodies there to play with.

chilipepper

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:36:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum.. and greetings from another North Dakotan.  I've also been brewing for a little over 10 years and making cheese for the last year or so.  You must be in the eastern part of the state?  I'm in the SW part of the state (Dickinson).  Good to see someone else from ND checking in!

Ryan