Author Topic: Havarti - Taco'bout Havarti  (Read 6606 times)

Baby Chee

Re: Havarti - Taco'bout Havarti
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 02:33:13 AM »
I have a faith that the basic meat of the cheese can come through the mixes inside.  I can tell if one is softer or saltier or drier, etc.  Not precise, but I'll see if the washing gave any edge to the cheese.

Already, it seems the washed cheese is quite a bit softer than the other cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 03:16:12 AM »
Make notes on your observations. It will help you figure out how to improve your cheeses later.

jimmyzshack

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 02:11:34 PM »
I'm curious. How many cheese caves do you have working now?

You mentioned brewing before. Are you lagering as well?

Are you aging any salami or sausage?

As I said, just curious.  :)

-Boofer-

Right now my two "mini caves" are filling with cheese. I haven't been brewing lately seems to have gotten old for me. I personnally do good to have one or two beers a month. I mostly brew it and give it away. Still have a few kegs out that haven't come back yet.

Sausages I do mostly in the fall/winter. Meat is ridulas up here right now. $4.87/lb for a brisket? $4.29/pound for pork butt? Come on! We've been whittling down the freezers for a while. I normally do a full smoker every weekend so we will be eatting well for a good long time. I have two small ones and there's only two of us here.

I smoke alot of meats also. I have found that walmarts brisket untrimmed is always at least half of what the other stores want about $1.65lb I did just see boston but for $.99lb i'm in louisiana so maybe the prices will make it to you soon.

Baby Chee

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »

I waxed my Havartis today.

AWFUL TIME.
It was so difficult getting them into the pie tin that I pushed forks into the cheese and then the cheese came apart and hit the wax, thus yellow wax flew everywhere.  Good God awful.  I'll spend a while cleaning that up.  The bottom cheese is arranged to not show the chunks missing.

I tried one chunk and it was SUPER SALTY.  But, I think that is because the rind was freshly salted 3 days ago.  The meat looked great and had a great texture, but at 8 days it probably has very little maturity.

The Taco Havarti went well.  I just dipped edges, then spooned on top and bottom wax.

jimmyzshack

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »
did you check the ph? I don't understand how you are suppose to be able to if you have already pressed the cheese lol. I think i'm going to make this, this weekend.
thanks

Baby Chee

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 12:58:06 AM »
My brewing pH meter's registration fluids busted in the freezing cold this winter, so they ran away months ago onto the floor of my brew room.  I'm winging it.

But, you made me worry, so I took a slice of the Havarti just now and sealed the cheese back up with cling wrap.

It's not salty at all in the center.  9 days old, creamy.  Has a bland taste, naturally.  The salty stuff IS the rind.  Ah well.  Hopefully in 8 weeks it will mature to a nice cheese.

jimmyzshack

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 02:55:06 AM »
I was just wondering how do you test the ph after you press it.

Baby Chee

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »
As of these first cheeses-I don't.

So it is hit and miss.

vogironface

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 03:57:56 AM »
Chee,

Have you tried these cheeses yet?  Your fan base awaits your full report.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 04:06:44 AM »
Yes I am very curious about the taco havarti!

Baby Chee

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
Sorry--I forgot to post about this!

About a month back I opened it and gave most of it to some friends.  When trying it, it was around 7 or 8 weeks old, but I don;t remember the exact day of opening.  My bizarre Havarti mix-up wasn't well gauged against the regular havarti I made, since I opened the regular havarti after around 2 weeks or so, thus it was crumbly and salty, but went REALLYwell with garden tomatoes.

This havarti was slightly crumbly, but the cheese was matured and full flavored.
The taco mix, ses seeds, parsley, etc. were very spicy!
It was not a cheese-wedge type of cheese, it was ok on crackers but I found it too strong with spice.
My friends gave me a bit this week that was cut with cream cheese and it was absolutely amazing on crackers.

What I would have used this for, if I kept the wheel, was for melting into cheese sauces for noodles.
This would be an awesome cheese to grate down and melt into alfredo sauce.

My problem was just in the amount of taco mix used.
With a mild amount of taco mix (1 oz or less of spices in a 3.5 gallon cheese) would be best for free eating or crackers.
I had filled a small ramekin/souffle cup with taco spice and other additives which were milled into curds.

If you like spicy cheeses: do it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 05:05:56 PM »
I've mixed in a few of my BBQ rubs but only a few tablespoons at a time. Cheese takes on flavor pretty easily most of the time.