Author Topic: first stilton  (Read 3418 times)

Sedona

first stilton
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:56:28 PM »
My first attempt making a Stilton, cheese is two weeks in curing.
Here is the picture.

Sedona

Cheese Head

Re: first stilton
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 04:56:25 AM »
Sedona, looks good so far, piercing time soon ;)!

Sedona

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »
Thanks John,
I pierced already, i went by the recipe from R. Carroll's book.
When is the correct time of making the holes?

Carter sure makes some nice & bet good tasting Stilton's. I'm wondering what his secret is?  lol

Sedona

No master falls from the sky.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 11:01:46 PM »
Sedona, sorry, couldn't see the holes.

More experienced/knowledgable people than me should answer that but there is a good thead here on why Stilton's rinds are smoothed and another here on piercing.

Also some videos here on Stilton Making.

Sedona

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 02:12:33 AM »
Here is an updated picture from the stilton, almost 4 weeks old.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:11:03 AM »
Looks great, congrats, the problem with mine was getting the freedom's inside the cheese for the mold to grow in. You'll only find out yours when you go to cut it.

Sedona

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »
Thanks John, so far i'm pleased how the cheese look. Yup i find out later on how the inside look. Another thing i been reading in the R. Carroll book, scrap off slime (sound awful) once a week. I didn't get any slim yet, is that something which come's later on, you know?
I been looking at the links & video you gave me, thanks again.

Cartier's stilt really looks good & yummy.
Question for Cartier, how did you get the light color outside of the stilt?  Did your's looked like mine with blue, green colors first?

Sedona

no master falls from the sky

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Sedona, sorry for delay, nope never got any "slime" on mine either.

Sedona

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 05:45:41 PM »
No problem John. I'm wondering why we don't get that. In the book it say so, hmm.

I guess Cartier didn't see the messages?
His outside is a different color than mine. I'm wondering if that color changes later on?

Sedona

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 07:34:25 PM »
Sorry, I'm not on this board much, but am glad to help. I got your PM but I'll respond here for other people's benefit.

First did you smooth the outside with a spoon after forming the mold, after letting it sit out for a few days? Because it looks as though it hasn't been smoothed. No problem with that as a cheese but it won't be a proper stilton if the outside is not smoothed as a lot of air will get in and the cheese will be somewhat drier.

No I never get slime, unless you humidity is a wet humidity, meaning poor air circulation, then you shouldn't get slime if you have the proper humidity and good air ciruclation.

My pictures are not the best as for color, but my color was blue, and I mean really blue.

Your looks a little cross contaminated, as you've got some white mold in there as well. That's not bad it will be more of a cambolza. But I'm sure it will taste fine.

P.S. Don't worry about the color. The time for piercing all depends on what recipe. I think I pierce at 2 months or something like that, check my logs. I age my a lot longer than most recipes say as real stilton is aged for at least 4 months, I age mine at least 6 months.

In the future after pressing and letting sit overnight, when you go to break the pieces into chucks and reform the wheel, make sure to break them into walnut size pieces and let the curds knit together by themselves APPLY NO PRESSSURE what so ever or you will not have marbeling on the inside later on.

Sedona

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 01:48:07 AM »
Thanks Cartier for all the information. Unfortunately i did not smooth the sides out with a spoon, honestly didn't know i had too. I went exactly by the R. Carrol's recipe in her book.

The white is gone now on the cheese. I have the cheese in a separate cave away from the others. The temp. is 54 f and humidity between 70% - 80%  I have it in a plastic container, the first couple of weeks i had the lid on the container, but than i removed it and now have a towel over the box so that the cheese get air circulation.

I poked holes in the cheese like she said in her recipe, and from top to bottom.

But i think something isn't right, the cheese is still very soft, not visible in the pic. i would think by now it should be firmer. I made it on 7/11   ~~ That's my first attempt, and that's the only recipe i have , the T. Smith's one is like R. Caroll's. I don't know if i try the same recipe again, because i probably end up with the same problem i'm having now.

Sedona