Author Topic: Up Cream! - Stilton w/ Double Cream  (Read 9086 times)

Baby Chee

Up Cream! - Stilton w/ Double Cream
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
I was thinking of making a couple Stilton with 3 Gallons whole milk and a couple quarts of whipping cream.

Has anyone tried upping the fats with heavier milks like creams?
Does this create any possible problems?
I'm assuming the benefits are a richer and creamier cheese.

Any advice or experiences?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:21:03 PM by Baby Chee »

Baby Chee

Re: Up Cream!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »
I started this Stilton:

3 Gallons Whole Milk from Sam's Club
2 Quarts Whipping Cream from Land'o'Lakes

Quite creamy, but the whey takes a LONG time to drain.  I've been draining for 5 hours so far and it is no where near finished.  I'll have to let it go for another 3 or so hours until I can split the curds and salt.

The curds so far are very very creamy and rich.  I'm enthused!

This will by my last cheese batch for at least 3 weeks.  I have 4 Goudas, 1 large Camembert, 2 Havarti, and this double batch of Stilton making two 4" cheeses.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Up Cream! - Stilton w/ Double Cream
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »
well done grasshopper now you may take a well deserved break ...  ;D

Baby Chee

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 01:05:08 AM »
haha  I can't stand that rich creamy Stilton sitting there for 60 days.  It's turning now, about every 6 hours.  If the mold sets in well, it should be a great set of cheeses.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:32:37 AM »
Well good luck hon. Hope your other cheeses don't turn green with envy!  ;)

Baby Chee

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »
Thanks!

The Stiltons are now out of the molds and smoothed, and the blueing is beginning on top and bottom.  They also have that slightly sharp odor setting in.  It's great!  Everything's on schedule.  I can't wait to have Stilton.

This might become my favorite cheese to make at home.  Due to the extra cream, I am expecting some rich meat inside the blue walls.

Baby Chee

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »

6 days.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:01:12 PM »
Looks really nice Baby - I just never got into blues - cheese that is!  ;)

Baby Chee

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »
Blue cheese is a little more acidic or strong than normal-washed curd cheeses.

Blue is great to add to things--salads, sauces, etc.  Though they presently smell like a basement of old books and dirty socks, I find them making me hungry...unlike dirty socks.  Today they are almost completely blue, having been englufed by the rabid mold.  Only 9 more weeks and they are edible!

I wanna make a 15 lb. Stilton sometime soon.

Baby Chee

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 12:17:04 AM »
Ok, this is starting to scare the poop out of me now...

9 Days into the Stilton.
Is there any cheese left under that stuff?
I see a green mold covered by white fuzzy and some yellow fuzzy showing up every so often.

It smells a little like spinach and cabbage.

Should I be scared?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 12:24:44 AM »
WOW! That's a lot of ... errr .. green stuff! Isn't it supposed to be like ocean green/blue? That looks a lot like the stuff the grows on the cardboard in my basement after a flood. I think it's taken over ... run for you life!

Sorry I got carried away.  ::)

Baby Chee

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 12:31:11 AM »
It smells like a basement... a debasement. 

Rather florid molds.  I've seen the before and after pics on the net where they show the lil' bluing, then the dried off blue/tan stuff.  This looks like the part of birthing they skip over quickly because no one would have a kid if they had to endure the vicarious realities ignored in prudent documentaries.

A few days ago I wanted to eat the mildly blue curds... today I want to hope I never look at them again.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 03:17:05 AM »
The color, especially the white, does not look right. A blue should be a nice blue/green and has a much smoother surface. What was the source of your Penicillium r. ? If you used a "sample" from an existing cheese, you could have had contamination. If you use a pure culture, the Penicillium r. will dominate before anything else can get a foothold.

Can you salvage these? You MIGHT be able to do an aggressive vinegar/salt wash and then vac bag to choke off the mold. However, this stuff is probably inside if you poked holes in the cheeses, so it may be too late.

Blues don't smell like a basement. I would probably pitch them.

Baby Chee

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 12:34:26 PM »
No poked holes yet: that's in 3-5 weeks.

I don't pitch anything until results are thoroughly gained.  The molds started well, but the past 2 days were scary.  I purchased my P. Rocqforti from THECHEESMAKER.COM, and so far all his other starters, bacterias, rennets, and molds have worked.

This morning the smell has faded and is barely noticeable.  The molds have gone farther.  Blue, layered by green, layered by white, with some stray yellow spots rarely dotting the surfaces.  I'll let it dry and see how it goes.  The cheeses were smoothed, so this stuff isn't inside (I hope) and might just become an interesting rind.

Perhaps from too much moisture?  I keep them under a metal pot I lift off about 10-12 times a day to air out everything and get moisture and gases escaping.  They are in a room that is between 60 & 70ºF through day and night.

Baby Chee

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »
In the past few hours I've noticed the green, partially covered with white, is now starting to have a layer or turn into a tan, similar to the final skin of the normal Stiltons.  @_@;  It's a scary ride.  I'll wait until tonight and then post another photo.