Author Topic: Edam Molds From Servi Doryl USA (Fromagex USA) - Review  (Read 8416 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Edam Molds From Servi Doryl USA (Fromagex USA) - Review
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:06:01 AM »
Finally got a call back from Anne Stevens of Servi Doryl USA (Fromagex USA) about the Edam molds.

"Although we are no longer carrying the model M7-4015, we do have
available ARO-270 (Edam mould 1500g/3.3 lb, 150 x 170mm). They are
$26.96 each."

I ordered two. I forgot to ask about shipping but she said they'd be here in 5 to 7 days. She also said they have 8 in stock. Make that 6!  ::)

Servi Doryl USA
1442 W. Willow Street
Chicago, IL 60642

p. 312.738.2677 #101
tf. 1.877.784.8779
f. 773.681.7267
cell. 740.405.3190

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
The Edams Molds Came in Today!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
I thought I would post a picture for those wanting to buy the Edam molds. The price is nice only about $27 but they are not lined like the kadova molds. They are also not as nice - BUT the price is less than 1/2 so I can't complain.

I ordered the 1.5 kg (3.3 pound) molds. I was making dinner so I used a small saucer with 2 sliced kiwis for size comparison.

Tea

Re: The Edams Molds Came in Today!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
They look great, but I will be interesting to see if the cheese sticks, or are you going to make up a liner?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:04:29 AM »
Tea -
I will probably just use either cloth cheese cloth or the plastic cheese cloth. We'll see how it goes. Looks like they could easily become footballs  if you over stuffed them.

http://www.fromagex.com/ have an outlet (or whatever it is) is Chicago. The ones they list are discontinued but they had 8 of these  ARO-270 - $26.96 each - 1.5 kg.

I emailed them for several months before I got a response, then another few weeks before I got a call back when I phoned. I you want them CALL!

Webmaster Edit: Combined two threads and thus edited this text for clarity of posts.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:55:29 AM by Webmaster »

riha

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:29:05 AM »
Please do report when you have tested them. I am about to order similar (not kadova) Gouda molds and it'd be nice to hear user experiences.

Are you going to line the whole thing or just the bottom where the holes are. Or are there holes at the sides as well? Can't be sure from the pic.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »
Riha -

There are holes all over the molds but it seems like there should be more than they have. If I can get my raw milk maybe I'll try it this weekend. I am on standby now they have a new customer and don't know if they can give me 7 gallons at a time now.  :'(

I will line the whole thing for the first press then remove it for the rest. This will probably be last last cheese for a few weeks I am making a trip to Wisconsin to visit family and won't be home to tend new cheeses.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 04:15:44 AM »
Is this the only place you located reasonably priced Edam molds?

I have tried an Edam but it was a wheel. I would really like to make a ball and have it turn out decently. Edam doesn't seem to be as common a cheese commodity as other types. More reason to make my own. I too am anxious to hear of your efforts with your new molds.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:30:11 PM »
They are the  best price I have found except a place in China but they couldn't tell me anything except to make cheese - $20 American dollar.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 05:05:11 AM »
Okay I used the Edam molds tonight for the first time and they are a PITA!

First thing I noticed before trying to use them is there doesn't seem to be enough drain holes. I think I mensioned this eariler. Well guess what? There isn't enough drain holes. It was a real pain trying to get the curds in because I kept having to turn the thing upsidedown to get rid of enough whey to do anything. You definately need to drain in a collader first.

Okay the curds are getting rather cold now but I drained the whey so rewarming is not a good option at this point. I started trying to repack the curds and press using the lid ... There are also no holes in the top to the lid. This causes an almost vapor lock. When you push down on the lid it just pops back up from air pressure. A bit late to start looking for my drill and bits tonight.

I have them pressing but I think these guys are gonna be full of air and holes everywhere. I will definately drill a bunch of hole all over the molds and in the lid for the next time I use these things. The only way to get a good press with them as they are is to use a hydraulic press with lots of pressure.

I came realy close to setting the darned thing on the floor and jumping on it to release the air pressure and get a good press going!  ???
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:12:56 AM by DeejayDebi »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 04:22:45 AM »
Okay FRiday night I made Edam with the new molds. I think I mensioned when I got them they didn't sem to have enough holes in them - well I was right - they didn't!

I should have trusted my own judgment but I figured they knew what they were doing they make their living doing this right? Wrong.

When I tried to put the curds in the mold and press them  it kept pushing back. It created a vapor lock I could not overcome. I kept wiggling the lid try to evacuate air but it was all but useless. I finally after playing with it for about 20 minutes dumped the curds bac in the vat and removed the cheese clothes. I did one with real cheese cloth and one with the new plastic cheese cloth. Both vapor locked!

Now my curds are getting very cold and the ones still in the vat are probably overcooked.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 04:33:37 AM »
I managed something of a press I will post else where. A losy press to be sure! But i started closely examining the molds after I removed the cheese today.

Here's what I found:

No hole in the lid (hence the vapor lock) - so I drill some.
The holes in the bottom seemed radomly distributed. Drilled by hand.
Only 2 holes every few inches around the sides. I added more.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 04:34:36 AM »
I think for the money with a few extra holes drilled they will work fine but as is they don't work right.

Cheese Head

Re: Edam Molds From Servi Doryl USA (Fromagex USA) - Review
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Debi, congrats on your mods (holes) and your first try making Edam balls.

I think they look great, especially for first try, like member Francoise said here, "they are a PITA".

Hope you try again, after you've recovered from your fight with them of course . . .

siegfriedw

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
I am supposed to be getting a sample of a "microperforated" mold from Servi Doryl soon. Hopefully they will not have this problem. Will let everyone know once I receive them and try.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 10:13:35 PM »
I think the mocropref have tiny little holes everywhere. That should be really good for draining and air. Can't wait to see them!