Author Topic: Submerging Havarti in Water...  (Read 10480 times)

Alex

Re: Submerging Havarti in Water...
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 06:21:21 AM »
The cheeses in the pics were taken at 7 days, just after drying and then I waxed them. So Tea, not to worry, you'll get a wanderfull rind.

Tea

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »
Oh whew, I was beginning to think that I was doing something very wrong.

Well they were waxed and I am going to turn them every couple of days for a couple of weeks in the cave, then I might transfer them to the fridge.  I'll see how it goes.
Many thanks for your help.

Alex

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 06:03:33 AM »
Tea,

I don't know the size of your wheel, mine is 6" in dia and I turned it once a week to ballance the pressure due to self weight. Here it is cut in half after 3 months:

Tea

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 07:19:01 AM »
Oh wow Alex, that looks perfect.  So are you happy with the flavour?
Mine are just in two smaller squares, only about 4x3 each.

Alex

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 10:36:21 AM »
The flavor?
As I've never eat a "real/original" Havarti, I can hardly wait to make it again the same way as this one. I wish you could taste it.

Tea

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »
So do I wish that I could taste it!  I too have never tried a "real" havarti, only the processed store bought version.
Well glad that you enjoyed it enough to want to make again.  I have decided that I am going to wait for my birthday to open mine.  That way I won't be tempted to open them sooner.  So fingers crossed that they taste good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 03:44:53 AM »
That Havarti look great Alex. I can almost taste it! Wonderful job as always! That one of the favorites in my family.

Alex

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2009, 07:03:25 AM »
Thanks to all for the compliments, you are so kind :-[

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2010, 03:38:36 AM »
You just make wonderful looking cheese Alex!
Well tomorrow I get to try this water bath thing. I'll let you know!

Tea

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
Well I have been tending to these well, but I completely forgot about them for a day this week, as I was organizing a big birthday party, so decided to transfer them into the fridge for safe keeping.  Decided on Friday that I had better open one and check that I hadn't ruined the cheese.
The body of the cheese looks like Alex's with small holes scattered through out.  The cheese itself is moist, soft and pliable, and very creamy.  The flavour at the moment is young, but still beautiful.  The block was about 2 pounds in weight, and it is almost gone.  Even my husband, who is not a cheese lover at the best of times, has come back asking for more.

So I still don't know what the water bath does to the cheese, but this one is a keeper.  Hoping to make it again today, as this one is disappearing fast.  Sorry still can't post pics.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »
I forgot to watch mine this week and they had mold on them! EGH!

I washed the snot out of them but I will always smell the molk now - could be in my head but once mold has touched my cheese I can always smell it.

I vac packed them today and scrubbed down my mini cave.  I am very sensitive to mold smells. They looked great and felt squishy so looking good.

Th Eggnog cheese seems to be looking it's smell though. Looks good but that really strong eggnog smell is fading away.

Alex

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »
Tia, for a moment I thought you tasted my cheese in some way. You described my cheese, except "very creamy", may be because mine was 3 months old, it sticked to the knife very litle.
I happy you made such a wanderfull Havarti. I'm still waiting to open the cumin one I have in the cave for almost 4 months.

Tea

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »
Thanks Alex, and let us know how the cumin one turns out when you open it.  I have been wondering about the inclusion of things.  I wonder what a layer of smoked paprika would be like.

Alex

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 02:12:28 PM »
Don't wait for the cumin Tea, go for the smoked paprika :D