Author Topic: I pitched Camembert bacterias at 95ºF...  (Read 2159 times)

Baby Chee

I pitched Camembert bacterias at 95ºF...
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »
Is that a possible problem?

The recommended is 90ºF, but I overheated the 4 gallons on the stove and it's been sitting in the sink cooling slowly for over an hour.  Still is up there, though despite running cool water on the outside of the pot.

Maybe anyone has ideas of cooling milk when it goes over the target temp?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: I pitched Camembert bacterias at 95ºF...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »
Except when I need really high temps (above 120F), I do ALL of my heating directly in the sink. NO STOVE. Put the drain plug in, fill the sink half way with the hottest tap water possible, sit my 5 gallon pot in the sink, fill with milk, and walk away for a while. For me it always seems to initially stabilize around 82-85F. As the milk heats, the sink water cools down and I aggressively add more hot water until it reaches working temp. Hard to overheat and easy to remedy if you do.

This is MUCH faster and more foolproof than heating on the stove. No double boiler, only occasional stirring and I don't have to watch it. IF the milk starts to go over working temp, I simply lift the pot out and place it on a towel on the counter.

What kind of cheese were you making? How much over target did you go? Had you already added starter cultures? If you were using a Meso culture, you MAY have killed them. You could always add a little ice to the sink if you needed to cool down quickly.

Baby Chee

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »
I had 94ºF when I dropped the Camembert bacteria in the milk.  Meso + P. Cam + G. Cam.  It was still 92ºF when I pitched the rennet.

The curd has come out great.  LOTS of curd.  More than I expected.  Not sure if the bacteria will be killed off though.  The recipe recommendation was a pitch of 90ºF.

I'm making Camembert.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:28 PM »
94F is not too hot. 104-105F yes, maybe. Bacteria flourish at body temp of 98.6F. Rennet works faster at higher temps up until 105F ???

Baby Chee

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
Oh good.  That's good to hear.

The stuff is forming at the moment as is beautiful.  I had more curd than prudent for the few molds I had ready, so they'll be fairly thick Camemberts I think.  This time they'll have their own penicillium cave as well.  Can't wait for results.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:38:42 AM »
Good luck BC!