Author Topic: My 2nd Cheese  (Read 5911 times)

Daznz

My 2nd Cheese
« on: September 10, 2009, 09:40:17 AM »
This is my cumin Gouda  2ND cheese I have made Hmmm I'm not sure if its looking right. I need some more experienced eyes to take a look at and see what you think. it was made 5days ago and brined for 4hrs

Thanks Daza

Cheese Head

Re: My 2nd Cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:57:44 AM »
Looks good Daza!

I think the lines on rind are from cheesecloth lined hoop. If you want less character next time, you can pull the cloth straight up tight all around the circumference to minimize them. Also, it has quite a stippled rind finish, assume that is because you used a course cloth to line your hoop.

Assume 1 hour brining was because this is a 1 lb/0.5 kg cheese.

Daznz

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »
Oh OK so you can get fine cheesecloth that would be a better move.
Thanks for your tips. How long can I age this cheese with out waxing etc ?

Daza. PS  a 700g cheese

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
Daze, not saying finer cheesecloth is better, frankly my latest pressed Gouda looks boring compared to yours.

On brining times, this recipe (currently) says 3-4 hours of saturated brine per lb/0,5 kg but I think that is too general, as it doesn't take surface area/weight ratio into account and thus smaller cheeses should need less time per weight than larger, so I think you should be OK, next time you could brine longer and compare results.

Gouda's can be aged years if want, question you ask is how long can you 100% natural rind before waxing or vacuum bagging? Me, I don't want the hassle of waxing, so I've been 100% natural rinding them, which I'm finding is very tough. Here's a thread on a dark mold problem I have/had that was very interesting and another on a white deposit that was better news. Through those two threads Francois really opened my eyes to problems of natural rind aging Gouda's. Also, this thread was illuminating for me on oiled rinds.

Hope that is some help to how long and perils of 100% natural rinding your cheese.

Baby Chee

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »
Those deep ruts on the sides are just wrinkles in the cheese cloth.  You can get rip of those by tugging the sides up on the mold when the curds and flipped cheese go in again.  It helps to just tug those out and tighten the cloth.

If the appearance problem is the grid from the cloth, yeah, you can get finer, but I wouldn't.  Especially if you use wax for a covering.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 11:56:27 PM »
If you keep it natural and rub it with salt and olive oil the little lines will wear off - not to worry. I think it looks great!

Daznz

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
So do you just give it a light rub with crushed sea salt and olive oil ?
how often would I do this ?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
Leave it sit for a few days until it's dry to the touch then put it in the fridge. After a few days just use a damp rag with brine. After about 2 to 3 weeks start rubbing with an rag dampened in olive oil and dip the rag in flaked salt and rub lightly. After that I only do it about once every 2 to 3 weeks or as needed.

Daznz

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »
Hmmmm this natural rinding sounds scary to me . I found 4 little blue mold spots on my cheese I rubbed them off with brine I think im paranoid now haha

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 10:51:10 AM »
Debi (all), three questions:
  • Why do you add salt when oiling? Is it to get a harder more dehydrated rind or to act as an abrasive to rub off any mold spots?
  • Also, does it have to be flaked cheese salt, I thought that style salt was only as it melts easily where as in aging phase there is no rush to get the salt to dissolve?
  • How much salt per weight of cheese?

Thanks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:19:31 AM »
I use the salt like sand paper to rpolish up the the rind. The little kadova molds and the cheese cloth make little tiny holes that like to give purchase to molds. I like to polish it smooth. Also cleans up anything from the damper cheeses that are in the cave. Mold can be catchy!

Flaked salt, kosher salt, sea salt will all work. Flaked salt is softer. Not as abrasive. When the cheese is new and soft I tend to use the softer salt to polish the rind with a damp cloth. The rough salt will scratch more than polish.

I use Diamond Crystal Kosher the most because it comes in bigger boxes.
I don't measure the salt I just pour a small pile in a bowl and tap the dampened cloth into it as needed. Kind of like spit shining shoes.

Cheese Head

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 12:32:33 AM »
Debi, thanks, that's the way my Dad taught me to shine shoes ;D, except you are using an oil dampened cloth to salt-shine the cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 12:38:11 AM »
I use almost the same technique! Light circles but oil and salt and NO SPIT!  ;D

Daznz

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »
Hi all
Here's a update on my cheese it has been growing bits of blue mold and
the odd hairy one haha the pic is after a rub down with olive oil and salt
It smells a little bit like old socks is this OK ?? and it was a bit slimy on the top at the start of the rub down I have know idea if this is wrong or right .
My mats seem to get very moldy I've added a fan to the fridge 70% humidity
and at 13c...

Daza

FRANCOIS

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »
Whenever I did oil rinds on hard italian style cheeses I did 2 months with saturated brine rubs to harden the rind before applying oil.  If you start off with oil right away after molding you are risking a yeasty mess.  The rind pH has to neutralize and thicken before oiling.