Author Topic: My 2nd Cheese  (Read 5910 times)

Daznz

Re: My 2nd Cheese
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 06:57:33 PM »
Oh OK thanks for that back to brine I go .. Do you think the smell is normal ?

Daza

Tea

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
Thankyou Francois, another pearl of wisdom I must remember, as I plan to oil more of my cheeses.

Do you always use brine, or can use just rub on some salt?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
I only know this from making the mistake myself.  I have benn able to recover 10# wheels of romano after they got yeasty by agressively scraping the muck away.  I used saturated brine to dab mold at first, with intermitent rubbings with coarse salt (once a week or so). It's important to keep the humidity down when you rub the salt on as the moisture on the rind can cause spots of yeast that, once you start rubbing, spreads it around.

After a 5-7 weeks the rind would darken and toughen and then it would be ready to oil.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »
Daznz ,
That sounds like yeast to me, especially the smell and sliminess.  At this point it will be very difficult to rectify, especially since I see this is a gouda.  I have never seen an oiled gouda, nor would I try it becasue of the high potential for yeast problems.  Gouda is a very wet cheese and has lots of food on the surface for yeast to grow.  This fact, coupled with the relatively high rind pH of gouda early on in the aging process, is the reason it is normally waxed. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:23:04 AM »
I have used salt and oil on my Goudas without trouble but they will dry out very fast if you don't vacpack them.

Daznz

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 06:55:30 AM »
Don't get me wrong the cheese doesn't smell like eeeekkk yuck its just
a hint of smell with ya nose right close to the cheese its much better today after a rub down last night and a fan going in the cave .
I will start rubbing it with brine. Do you think I should vaccum pack them now or are they a bin job ? I need some help from you wiser cheese makers  :)

Daza

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 01:08:32 AM »
I don't understand what you mean by a "bin job."

I hope I wasn't inadvertantly misleading here - let me clearify ... salt and oil is not for cleaning a cheese it for preserving the clean mold free cheese. All cheeses have to be cleaned and free of nasties before you can preserve them.

Daznz

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 08:03:57 AM »
Thanks Debi I'm slowly learning . A bin job is throw it out .
OK I'm just using brine now tell me does a Gouda have a bit of a musty smell
when maturing

Daza

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 02:29:57 AM »
I have never detected a musty smell unless there was the beginings of mold growing. If you can smell it - it's there, clean it off before it gets going.

Daznz

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
Thanks for ya help.

This is a cracked pepper Gouda I did. Is the white on the cheese a white
mold that I read in the forum is a good mold or is it from the brine rubs I have been doing.

Daza

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »
Actually that looks pretty good. I wouldn't mess with that one. That will protect your cheese.

Cheese Head

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 03:13:24 AM »
Daza, looks great and that white very thin mold looks just like the same wild P candidum I got on mine in this thread (I assume you didn't add it as one of the ingredients).

Daznz

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »
No I didn't add anything john it has spread to my other cheese now and it smells sweet and earthy as FRANCOIS was saying after fighting blue mold for a few weeks it a blessing this turned up  ;D
So as I read it  now I don't was my cheese just brush it ?

What type of brush's do you use to brush your cheese?

Cheese Head

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 02:17:37 AM »
Daz, I was incorrect in my post above it is a good mold but Geotrichum candidum, not Penicillium candidum which gives you th big fluffy white mold like on Camemberts.

Like yours, this good G candidum mold is on several of my cheeses although in my latest I added it directly to milk to get it to take hold earlier/stronger.

Good question on brush, I sadly have only brushed once and used the kitchin sink scrubber :o!!! So we both have the same problem thus I've just posted that question here.

I've just post

Daznz

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 07:03:48 AM »
Here is a photo of my two cheeses after 3mths I got so sick of fighting unwanted molds  and my cheese cave when opened was smelling real bad .So I cut them open thinking to myself I bet theres good cheese inside.
And WOW I was right the two cheese were fantastic. everyone loves it  ;D
So the next lot I will be waxing and maturing 6 to 12 mths

Daza