Author Topic: John's Cheese #048 - Semi-Lactic #1  (Read 13537 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: John's Cheese #048 - Semi-Lactic #1
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 01:18:09 AM »
I broke one of the 1st batch today trying to wash it in beer so I tried the inside. Tastes sort of like cream cheese. Not cheesy at all. Te second batch is much firmer.

Alex

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
these cheeses are not intended to be soft and creamy, but more like a firm paste before being crumbly (you can see in my pictures on this thread).
I hope you won't wash them inside ;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
Alex, thanks for feedback. Now I see how you got mold bloom on their bottoms, very open wire. As you said yours must be much firmer to not get ridges, mine would have initially sunk 1/3 through those wires!

To get lower moisture content cheese, next time I think I will drain longer at room temperature before placing in cheese cave. I agree, my rind is very different, almost toad - slip skin rind. I think this is combination of 1) not adding spores to milk, 2) letting bloom get excessive before knocking it back by washing with beer, and 3) excessive humidity resulting in blue taking hold.

You say to wash for ~4 weeks, how frequently during that time? Also how long do you age for on average?

TIA!

Cheese Head

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 01:32:18 AM »
Cut and ate the last of these three at age 28 days. Only washed once with beer, should have done earlier and more often and placed on wide wire like Alex's picture to enable mold on bottom.

This one is firmer slightly drier than last one, plus crushed nuts are starting to get a little soft, taste is good but less bluing than number 2 which was consumed at 20 days.

Alex

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2009, 07:54:41 AM »
Very good looking result John, congrats.
Just patience and more washing if you like. Washing only once will change the look only. Personaly, I like much less nuts.
Now you can advance to ash coating too.
As for mold on the bottom, it's not critical, use your mesh mats, just elevate them on some spacers.

Cheese Head

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »
Alex, thanks, good looking, well barely but first try! Agree amount of nuts was a bit excessive ;D.

I'd like to get mold growth on bottom as these ones stuck to the mat >:(. I think it needs to be elevated more so better air circulation on bottom.

On ash, I don't have any and very expensive for small amount via cheese making supply stores. There's an Ingredients > Ash thread, appreciate if you have any better ideas on where to buy or how to make.

riha

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 11:07:51 AM »
I just have to say that this has been (and is) an awesome thread that continuously inspires me. I so want to try this myself. Especially with ash coating. White mold cheeses with ash coating are among my favorites.

Way to go John and do keep us posted!

(Shouldn't read the forum while making cheese. Now I'm thinking if I should have made my 8 liters into lactic instead of cheddar :) )

Alex

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »
Alex, thanks, good looking, well barely but first try! Agree amount of nuts was a bit excessive ;D.

I'd like to get mold growth on bottom as these ones stuck to the mat >:(. I think it needs to be elevated more so better air circulation on bottom.

On ash, I don't have any and very expensive for small amount via cheese making supply stores. There's an Ingredients > Ash thread, appreciate if you have any better ideas on where to buy or how to make.

You need to elevate the cheese not more than 1/2".
I've made ash several times just by burning pieces of white ash in a tin box and crashed them with a mortar and pestle. It's messy, as well as coating the cheeses, but fun.
For the lactic cheeses, instead of salting the surface and then coat with ash, you may mix ash with salt and use it this way.
I know the French use grape ash, I didn't try it yet and I am not sure someone can identify the difference in taste. PINE, I'll never use. It's not good for smoking because of the high resin content, I am not sure about useing the ash, so I won't.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 06:03:25 AM »
If you are making your own ask I would stick with fruit and nut woods.

Cheese Head

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 02:04:49 AM »
Hi Pam, have fun with them!

I'm using store bought past & homogenized whole cow's milk and I also don't get a firm curd set like when you use normal amount of rennet. I thought about ladling mine directly into the molds, a small amount initially so that it doesn't squirt out the weep holes, but it would take a while and I only have three of these pyramid molds and they are not very big. If they were bigger or I had more then they should have worked. So instead I did like Alex and you, pre-drained via hanging bag.

I think I drained in bag too long as was soft cream cheese consistency and I had to pack it in a bit to fill the corners of the mold and as I got minimal whey drainage while in molds.

My understanding is as only very little rennet is used and at low temp you don't get normal full rennet curd and if using non-homogenized milk it will separate while forming soft curd as long time ripening in vat. I wrote some good notes here on acid vs rennet coagulation that explain it better.

Looking forward to reading about and seeing your results. I have second batch aging now ;D.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 02:18:35 AM »
John -

I put my first batch straight into the molds and they took forever to drain. They started by weeping through the holes and slowly drained. Made for very wet cheese. The second batch I pre drained and it seemed much firmer. In fact I forgot the little buggers are in the mini cave until I just read this. OOPS!

Cheese Head

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 02:24:37 AM »
Debi, thanks, so your first batch directly into molds without draining bag turned out even moister!

Even with draining bag and then molds, my cheeses are moister than those in Alex's pictures, maybe because he's using raw cow's milk. Any ideas on how to get dryer are welcome . . .

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »
My first batch was scooped right in and so wet I thought I made brie! Actually I think Francios said the recipe I used was close to brie anyway but it ended up with slip skin by the time I got back from vacation. The second batch is solid enough but still growing white fur. Maybe I should wash them in beer again? That step was not in my recipe.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 03:16:05 AM »
Thanks for that info, John and Debi.
Maybe I'll stir the cream in before I put it into the molds. I'll get some pictures on here as I progress.
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 03:23:43 AM »
Good luck Pam!