Author Topic: Curd Cutter - Spatula As Knife  (Read 3473 times)

Cheese Head

Curd Cutter - Spatula As Knife
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
From US based CulinaryCookware for cutting curds I ordered their longest spatula. It is Matfer Bourgeat brand 350 mm/13-3/4" long blade for USD10.53 plus shipping.

Previously I had been using our household long serrated bread knife, but as I want to make larger batches of cheese, it would not be long enough.

Mine actually measures 353 mm/13-7/8" long blade. The only problem with it is it's too rounded on end so when cutting, I will not be able to get all the way into the edges of my stockpot vat. Needs to be more sword shaped.

Alex

Re: Curd Cutter - Spatula As Knife
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »
It's a conditors spatula, the same type as mine.
Now you have a good curd cutter. The rounded edge won't scratch the vat's bottom.
Enjoy it!

Baby Chee

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »
I just received a spatula like that from Amazon.  It has in addition a serrated type blade on one side... so I can cut (fatuous with that wide flat blade unless the substance is thin or very soft).

riha

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
I just tried my spatula that I had lying in my kitchenware drawer and I think it was too thick. It did cut the curds but it was not nearly as easy as with a knife. They didn't cut as cleanly and tried to spin around the pot when I cut them. This one was 0.6mm thick. I'm back to the good old sharp-pointed knife for now.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
Riha, this one cut the curds fine for me, not sure how thick it is as I don't have a gauge. My curds are generraly still "attached" to the wall of the stockpot so I don't have that. I've had my uncut curd pull away once before as it was shrinking but I thought that was too long before cutting the curd. That said I'm still using the Clean Break check method not the Flocculation Method to test for when to cut, so maybe my time when cut is off.

Just posted picture of it here in my also new 40 US quart / 38 liter stockpot-vat to give it scale.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »
ONe of these days I will order a new spatula mine has a bend in the handle end and meses up my top layer of curds sometimes but it was only $1.69 at the dollar store.

Baby Chee

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:23 AM »
Wilton's long cake spatulas are very nice, but cost a little.