Author Topic: Brine Salted Cheeses: Brine % Salt  (Read 13021 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Brine Salted Cheeses: Brine % Salt
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 02:50:13 AM »
If I cut a waxed wheel in half at 4 weeks, then vacuum seal one half in wedges and eat the other half, does the sealed half age the same way or does the whole wheel need to age together?

yes but as the cheese is now smaller in slightly less time.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 03:02:13 AM »
The cut edge is generally too moist to rewax. Vacuum bag.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 01:03:13 AM »
Everything has been said about the brine and the pH of it. Here is an estract from James Aldridge about the brines.

Brine Baths
The older cheesemakers will tell you that you should not renew your brine but simply add more salt as required, and they have very sound reasons for this.
However; in today's climate of hygiene hysteria it is advisable to change your brine solution periodically.
When you first make up a fresh solution the pH of this will be around pH. 7.00. (Neutral).
Now, the average pH of any cheese, which you are going to float in this solution, will be around pH 5.00. When you use this new bath the pH of the brine will try to level out and this will increase the pH (in other words, reduce the acidity) of your cheese. This will lead to many possible defects:
Usually they will manifest themselves most visibly in rind defects. You will feel a greasiness of the rind at first. This will develop into areas of sticky and discoloured patches, with the discolouration varying from straw colour to bright orange, red or brown. The surface will be prone to show growths of the black or grey mucor molds (poille de chat). The body of the cheese will be weaker and softer than desired. The low acidity will favour the growth of spoilage organisms, flavour will suffer and the keeping quality of the cheese will be reduced considerably.
No problem:... there is an answer to this. As any Dutch Gouda maker can tell you. You simply add acid to the fresh solution and from there on both the brine and the cheese are happy. This can be done with lactic acid but the cost is a little high. I use the same acid as the cow does in its digestive system: hydrochloric acid (which you can buy from a chemists / local pharmacy).
Right, let's make up a brine bath.
You need a 20% solution. We will work with 100 litres, just to make things easy, but you will make up what is required for the amount of cheese you usually make per batch.
1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo. 100 litres of water: 100 kilo. So, for a 20% solution you will need 20 Kilo of salt. (If you work in pounds and ounces: a Gallon weighs around 10 lb.). I usually find that I need one for the pot as well. Particularly if one uses sea salt as this is not so purified.
Dissolve the salt in the water. It will take some time so leave it to soak before you really do a lot of stirring.
Once it is dissolved you need to measure both the salt solution and the pH. A very fresh egg will float in a 20% solution and this is a very reliable method in home-production but what you really need is a Brine weight. You simply float the weight and read the percentage that is marked in gradients on the side. Then add either more salt or more water as may be necessary.
The pH can be measured with a pH Meter, expensive and unreliable for the small producer.
What you need is a pack of pH Dip papers (litmus paper). You simply dip one of these strips into the solution and then read the pH off against the colour chart on the packet.
The reading is going to be far too high, so now reduce it.
Put a couple of litres of water in a jug and add the equivalent of 3 or 4 teaspoons of the acid to it. If you are using Lactic acid you will need a good deal more. Pour about half of this into the bath and stir for a few minutes. Then take another pH. reading.
Continue to add until you have a pH of 5.00.
You should be using the solution at a minimum of 15°C (60°F) and maximum of 20°C. 18°C is the norm. Below this temperature the salt will not be properly absorbed and, the low temperature will restrict or kill many of the flavour producing organisms in your cheese. Store it at room temperature and keep it covered and clear of any cheese particles and it will be fine for the whole season.
Done.
When you use this bath the cheese will absorb salt and reduce the solution %. Every time you put fresh cheese into the solution you must give them a liberal sprinkling of salt to compensate for this. The cheese should be flipped over in the brine halfway through the brining period and sprinkled again with salt or you will find that the upper side of the cheese will soften as it ages because it will retain more moisture. Measure the salt solution% occasionally by all means, but once you have a little experience this will only be necessary about once a month.
I keep a very fine mesh gadget to hand (a plastic swimming pool skimmer) and skim the surface of the brine shortly after each use. This removes any cheese particles and helps to keep the solution clear.
Periodically you need to filter the solution thoroughly. I do this by either pumping or bucketing it from one container to another and back again.
You can make up a simple yet effective filter by lining a basket or colander with cheese muslin and passing the solution through this. This gives you the opportunity to clean the bath and surrounding area. Do not allow a smear of slime to develop on the sides of the bath above the water line... this will be fat and bacterial growth.
A note on pH. If you do not set the pH. of your brine solution it will gradually level itself out as it takes acid from your cheese so, after a period of time the pH will be correct. However, this will depend on how often you use it and how much cheese you float in it so it will take some time and in the meantime you will be reducing the acidity of your cheese. This is why the older cheese-makers did not change their solution.... in most cases, for many, many years.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 01:26:59 AM »
It's much easier and cheaper to make your brine from leftover whey. It's already acidic and has a good calcium concentration. Just add salt to saturation and you're good to go. As the cheese pulls salt and calcium out of the brine, just add more CaCl2 and salt occasionally to keep it fresh.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 01:41:57 AM »
Thanks Sailor. I have 6 litres of whey sitting at home. If I add salt to it, how long I can keep it? If I leave the whey in bottles, mold appears on top after 3 weeks (without salting).

Should I boil the whey+salt solution from time to time to sterilise it?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 03:36:40 AM »
I use fresh whey from cheeses that don't use Penicillin or other molds. I tend to use whey that has a pH around 5.5 to 6.0, but I don't feel that's critical. However, don't use whey from a Gouda or other washed curd cheese because the dilution from washing makes the pH, Calcium, etc way off. Bring to a boil and add salt. Calcium levels are really important in brine, If the calcium level is too low, it will pull calcium out of your cheese. So, it may be overkill, but I add 1 teaspoon of CaCl2 to a gallon of brine. Cool and refrigerate. With a saturated salt concentration, you won't get molds. After I brine a cheese, I use butter muslin (or a fine cheesecloth) to filter the brine. The commercial guys filter and reuse their brine constantly, so technically this can be used indefinitely. You could filter and boil, add new salt, add new CaCl2 and keep your brine going. However, we all have what seems like a never ending supply of whey so I use mine 3 or 4 times and then start a new batch. Keeps the salt and calcium levels fresh. There are better and more complete directions for making brine elsewhere in the forum.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 04:38:33 AM »
Thanks Sailor,

Here is another way of utilizin whey... Thanks a lot.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »
Then too, won't you create ricotta if you boil the whey?

I'm in the camp that uses it several times and tosses out the old whey-brine when a fresh batch of unwashed curds pass through my cheese factory. Keeps it fresh.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• Old Cheese
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 10:32:48 AM »
I do create ricotta. That was going to be my next question to Sailor. Can whey be used as brine after boiling for Ricotta? I assume as albumin proteins are removed and not much calcium left after ricotta, it would not be used as brine. The only thing left is the riboflavin (greenish color) and some water. May be we can add some more CaCl2 and salt and use it as brine.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »
Yes, I make brine after Ricotta all the time. Just add a little extra CaCl2.

If Ricotta precipitates out - keep it - and strain for brine.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »
However, don't use whey from a Gouda or other washed curd cheese because the dilution from washing makes the pH, Calcium, etc way off. Bring to a boil and add salt. Calcium levels are really important in brine, If the calcium level is too low, it will pull calcium out of your cheese. So, it may be overkill, but I add 1 teaspoon of CaCl2 to a gallon of brine.

Old post, but wanted to ask about this as all I've been making are washed curd cheeses, and I'm using the whey for brine.  I did think on the difficulty of knowing how much Ca I had in the whey, given the water dilution, but was advised this was still better than using straight water, and my sensibilities just seem to agree.  I use the washed curd whey, use a hydrometer (and convert to salt %), adjust pH and just add in CaCl at the rate of 1 tsp/g, as well, Sailor.

Can you go into a bit more on why you advise not using washed curd whey?  Wouldn't this still beat straight H20?
- Paul

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »
Washed curd whey is definitely better than water but the pH is going to be a little high. However, as you remove pure whey prior to washing, why not keep that for brine? That's what I do.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:46 AM »
Sailor, in fact I did do that, this last time.  I still have to dial in a system to better remove whey for washing (I think I found it, now), so I had some concerns about sanitary issues, using the whey that had sat exposed for such a long time; but I do have a couple of gallons from this last batch, and planned on using it next time.
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
I use 22%, other makers here like 18%.  I whole heartedly agree that something like 26% and dumping salt on the tops of the exposed wheels in the brine can cause rind issues.  I just flip the cheeses part way through and make sure whenever I walk by, that I splash a little brine over the tops. 

Our commercial brine bath is maintained at full saturation (about 26% right now) but none of us agree with that, it's just easier to produce and maintain for the cheesemakers on the floor.

Francois, is that 22% at 50-55F, or room temp, then chilled?
- Paul

FRANCOIS

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 09:47:29 PM »
Salt addition is by weight, it's irrespective of temperature. 

When the guys on the floor check concentrations, it's chilled.