Author Topic: Jack Question  (Read 3873 times)

Tea

Jack Question
« on: September 13, 2009, 03:26:48 AM »
Well I made my first batch of cheese today in 8 months.  Can't believe that it has been that long.  Getting your hands on "good" milk can be such a pain.

Anyway, I was hoping to make a jack tomorrow, with my usual basil and garlic added.  I usually make 4 small cheeses, wax then age, but this time I was thinking that I might make one large cheese, and oil/salt the rind, as I tend to prefer the end flavour of the natural rind. 

Would this work with this cheese?  and are there any pit falls I should be watching out for?

Any advice much appreciated.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Jack Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:42:23 AM »
It should work fine. I always do a natural rind with salt and olive oil.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »
I probably shouldn't have made this cheese yesterday, but went ahead anyway as I have the culture ready to go.  First off, I couldn't get the milk I usually get so sufficed with an organic milk.  As usual the curds were not what I am used to.
Then I went to get some herbs, no fresh herbs, so I used some dried herbs instead.
So mixed everything in put it in the press and even though I tried very hard to make sure that it pressed straight, it again pressed on an angle.  Got to do something about my press.  >:(

So for what it's worth it's made and drying.

Now should I let it dry for a day or so, or can I start immediately with the oil and salt rub?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:49:49 PM by Tea »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »
I'd let it dry at least a day or two or until it feels dry when to touch it. Then sit it in the fridge for a few days. I don't like to oil it immediately because the fridge will dry it a little better and give it more of a crust(?). Makes it easier to rub without doing danage if you know what I mean. Soft cheese rubs off easily.

I like the pattern on you cheese - it's very pretty!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:43:15 AM »
Most organic milk is ultra-pasteurized. Not good for cheese.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:44:19 AM »
Thanks Sailor, I didn't know that it was ultra pasteurized, that's news.  I did know though that it wasn't going to be wonderful, but it was the best of the choices that I had at the time.  Worst luck!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »
I have not found an organic milk or a goat's milk in my area that is NOT ultrapasteurized. Many creams are ultrapasteurized. Please complain to the store managers - I do. Hasn't helped YET, but I am educating them.

Even if a milk is pasteurized, the best milk for cheesemaking is non-homogenized. There is one brand in our region (Snowville Creamery) that isn't homogenized. I believe that homogenization does more harm than pasteurization. However, ultrapasteurization is definitely not good. Needs lots of Calcium Chloride to "fix" it. Let us know how that milk works out for you.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:37:26 PM by Sailor Con Queso »

wharris

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »
I'd love to offer some advice,  but I don't know jack.

(The groans are deafening...)

Tea

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 07:59:22 PM »
The milk that I usually get is called Mungully, and it isn't homogenized either.  Unfortunately in only arrives here in small quantities once a week.

So when you say "ultra" you mean like UHT milk?  Would that be in Australia too?  What is the reason for doing that?

Wayne, you deserve to loose a cheese for that one  :D

wharris

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
I really do.

:(

Tea

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 08:27:12 PM »
This cheese is now almost two months old, and after being carted on holidays with us, and stuffed into a fridge, because I couldn't keep the esky cold enough, oil rubbed, scraped back and salt rubbed again, I decided that yesterday I just had to try it. 
I usually make this in four smaller rounds and wax.  This one I decided to leave as one and do a natural rind.  Note also that I can't find any Jack here in Aust as I don't have any idea what I should be aiming for.  The smaller ones were very soft and creamy, and quite mild in taste.  The softness could be due to the fact that they were pressed in the cam moulds so some whey would have been retained.
This one was pressed in quite an open mould to a lot more whey was able to drain.  The resulting cheese is quite hard, like a cheddar, and has quite a bite to it. The herbs and garlic are there, but no where near as prominant as in the previous cheese.  I am not sure if the cheese is sharper because it was allowed to get too warm for a period?  Or maybe this cheese should have a sharp flavour?  This cheese really surprised me as it is completely different from what I usually make.
Will take some update photo's and post later.
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 04:21:36 AM »
I am not very good at describing flavors but to me a fresh jack tastes something between a very green cheddar and mozzarella.  It's very good aged and can be used like a parmesan.

Tea

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 06:43:21 AM »
Well mine is well on it's way to being a parm.  It will be used as a grating cheese only.  I also opened my gouda that is about 6 weeks old, and it too is dry and sharp, and both are salty.  So either the mould is too open and allowing too much whey to drain, or I have over brined the rind while trying to keep it natural and no wax or both.   :'(
I am really disappointed at both of these cheeses, as I had high hopes for them, especially the gouda.  It too will be grating cheese only now.
What is the usual brine/salting routine for creating a natural rind.  I was salt washing and turning every day.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 06:53:16 AM »
I salt mine in the vat after draining off the whey. For washing I save a pint jar of the whey and add a few teaspoons of salt and a few drops of calcium chloride. Just dampen a hunk of cheese cloth and wipe it down.

Likesspace

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 02:37:05 AM »
Tea....
I just saw this post and have a question....
What do you use as a mold to press your cheese?
The design that is left in your cheese is fantastic! I'd like to try something like this on some that I make this year.
Thanks in advance.

Dave