Author Topic: some buttermilk questions  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Littlest Goat

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
some buttermilk questions
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
last winter during my 1st milking season(goats)I played around a little with making buttermilk.My 1st batch was made by adding about 2 tbs of store bought cultured buttermilk to a pint of room temp. milk and leaving out overnight to culture.I got a very thick sort of stringy texture with a nice tangy taste.Then I used that batch to reculture the next and then the next batch to reculture the next ,etc.While I liked the taste the texture was sort of weird and hard to pour out to use for baking,etc.So I tried using much less culture till I was down to almost 1 tsp.Still a weird texture ,Next I tried to culture at a much cooler temp.I even tried to culture in my fridge and still weird texture.
  I would love to hear peoples methods for making buttermilk(cultured buttermilk)
  The only store bought  cultured buttermilk I can get in my area is the Vons brand and Altadena.Thanks for any help with this.
   oh yeah I just found a jar of buttermilk left in the fridge all summer.There is a pronounce layer of whey on the bottom and thick curds on top.Haven't opened it to smell it but might hang it drain if it smells ok.

marydairy

Re: some buttermilk questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
Buttermilk is very easy to culture and you only need about 2 tablespoons per quart of milk.  I would assume that you are using store bought milk as well?   The fact that you kept using the same buttermilk but trying different amounts makes me suspicious of your buttermilk culture.  You really need to find a different brand to try.  You can purchase a dry buttermilk culture to make a batch of your own cultured buttermilk.  Also keep in mind that if you are using whole milk it will be much thicker.  Store bought buttermilk is usually made using skim or part skim milk.  However I have made buttermilk using whole goat milk, store bought milk 2% and whole store bought milk and never had a problem. 

bbracken677

Re: some buttermilk questions
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
I have made it using 2% and the thickness turned out perfect.

On the other hand...I have 0 (zero) experience working with goat's milk.