Author Topic: Milk, Powdered - Using To Make Cheese  (Read 14550 times)

FRANCOIS

Re: Milk, Powdered - Using To Make Cheese
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »
Powdered milk is the most heat abused product out there typically.  It's likely pasteurized in the milk format, separated and then run through an evaporator to remove water AND then run through a dryer - alot of heat treatments.

I'll use powder only to adjust solids somewhat in cottage cheese when protein levels drop a bit to maintain yields.

I don't think it has been made this way for decades.  Every powder plant I have seen uses a centrifugal dryer.  It's just one step really.

T-Bird

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »
except for the slight sour/ bitter finish, I am very pleased with the texture and overall result on the colby style and the gouda style cheeses that I made with powdered milk . I'm ordering some animal based liquid rennet,  renewing my culture powders (they were almost 2 yrs old- MM and MA from leeners). Hopefully I can modify my recipe to eliminate the aftertaste.

Gina

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Has anyone tried making cheese by mixing 'fresh' grocery store milk with reconstituted dry milk powder, say, a gallon of each?

I've been using all fresh milk, but have some dry milk I'd love to use up. I think I'll just do it and see what happens. Maybe add some cream too.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 04:16:25 AM »
Don't reconstitute the powder - all you will be doing is adding extra water. A little powder can improve curd set and increase your yield, but it's not the first choice for award winning cheeses.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
I could not find the link but I believe Sally Fallon has a recipe for making cheese from powdered milk.

here is one link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5521576_make-cheese-powdered-milk.html