Author Topic: Records Journal - For Cheesemaking  (Read 8740 times)

Zoey

Records Journal - For Cheesemaking
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:27:38 AM »
I'm not sure if this goes under equipment, but it's the closest board I could find.

So, I was thinking about making some kind of form to record my progress onto - then print out a lot of forms along with recipes I use and form a "cheese diary".

Anyone done this, or how do you record your actions?

Up to now I've been a total mess with the recording stuff... I just follow the recipe (to some extent) and then forget the details. Luckily (well, I guess it's luck) I haven't made the perfect cheese yet, so I could've forgotten how to do it again. Maybe the perfect one comes the moment I start recording? :)

Anyway, while thinking of what to record, I think I'm going to use member John's very detailed progress posts as a guide. Thanks John! But I was wondering, if maybe some of you already have forms and would like to share? Or have good tips about what to include?

Other than the making progress, I think I should leave space for aging and tasting notes. Not forgetting to place date boxes next to each of those spaces.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Records Journal - For Cheesemaking
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:18:16 AM »
I've been using a small form ("Cheese Maker's Worksheet") included in a booklet I got through Leeners.com when I bought their cheese making kit. It's about a half sheet that at least allows me to put something down as I go. It does not allow for a lot of incidental comments and it seems to be lacking in other areas. For now, that's what I use.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Alex

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:11:06 AM »
Try this one, it's from a member on the other forum

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:40:04 AM »
Zoey, thanks for compliment, I and others record their cheesemaking batches here on this forum (failures and all). Me I find it easier to work digital as cut and paste and edit and can add pictures, just not smell or taste ;).

Here's a similar thread with another printable Paper Journal from Chilipepper.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:09:31 PM »
Boy, I like Chili's a lot. I'm upgrading my logging.  :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Zoey

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »

I agree, Chili's looks really good, although I think there were good points in several forms. Thanks to everyone for pointers. I'm sure a mixture of all these will be great (since I insist to make my own). I'm sure I end up using something from each.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:46:34 PM »
I think I posted this before but this is the one I use:

Added a pH/TA section and a tasting section ...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:50:39 PM by DeejayDebi »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:31:59 AM »
Whoa! I like yours even better, Debi.  Done deal. Thanks.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 02:39:35 AM »
I focus on pH and Flocculation times, so here is my log sheet in PDF and Excel formats. There are a few things, like the milk, and cultures that are specific to my supplies. (SV = Snowville milk). NOTE - There are 2 cheese records per page.

I have also included my Floc Times Sheet. This is a really handy reference so I don't have to calcuate the Floc/Multiplier times when I'm busy making cheese. Mine is laminated and stays on my clipboard.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 04:42:45 AM »
GREATE GREATE GREATE

Zoey

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:48 AM »

I didn't even understand Sailor's multiplier times thingie, so I guess I'm officcially a newbie. :) The form seems nice though. I also love Debi's form. Only I'd like to add post-pressing logs to it.

I suppose this is something that each of us has to do for themselves. But I think this listing helps a lot when creating one's own. So thanks everyone, and keep those examples coming. :)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 01:02:33 PM »
Sailor, I thought your Multiplier spreadsheet is a great little helper so hope you don't mind but I just added it to the When To Cut Curd webpage.

Any other changes please PM me . . . John.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »
Zoey -

I don't know what you mean by "post pressing logs." If you can explain what you need perhaps I can add it for you. Days, weeks, Months?

Salior -

Love the flocculation tables. I just changed the color of the border the bold black is blinding to my eyes (catarats). Great job!

Zoey

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 06:51:46 AM »

Debi, thanks, I don't think there's a need to add anything to yours, since I'm making my own that is just based on suggestions.

What I meant anyway, was a space for notes on the cheese while aging / tasting. Notes such as temperature and humidity during aging (and any changes in those) mold appearance, brine washing, taste at different ages, and so on.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 11:48:58 PM »
You have made some very good suggestions. I added a Tasting section in 4 parts. Molds etc. I think will fit in the Notes: section. Thanks!