Author Topic: Rennet - Mistakenly Added Before! Starter Culture  (Read 5884 times)

A Future Pilot

Rennet - Mistakenly Added Before! Starter Culture
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »
So call me an idiot, but I wasn't thinking and just put the rennet in before the starter. I immediately put the starter in afterwards when I realised it, but will my cheese be totally ruined? I'm making a "basic hard cheese" from here: http://schmidling.com/making.htm

Is it totally ruined?

mtncheesemaker

Re: Rennet - Mistakenly Added Before! Starter Culture
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
It'll be different but probably not ruined. Some recipes don't call for a ripening time between the starter and the rennet.
I would just keep going and check for a clean break as called for, and see what happens.
Pam

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
Bulk starter or DVI? If DVI, that's a tough one because the distribution will likely be uneven by the time the milk gels, depends on the timing. If bulk, should be fine. If you manage to incorporate it into the milk in time, should be OK, but with a different pH curve.

A Future Pilot

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
It was DVI powder, I put it in about ten minutes or less after the rennet. And then stirred it well. So you think it'll still taste good?

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
it's probably not as big(or costly) a mistake as landing before you put the gear down. In cheese making add the starter before the rennet, in flying always run your gump(f) check before proceeding with your landing! Regards...

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:33:30 PM »
If it was really 10 minutes, that's about at the point of the surface gel, meaning the integrity was disturbed, and it's doubtful that the bacteria were distributed evenly in the milk.

But, who knows for sure, I say go through and finish the cheese. Keep the temperature up when the cheese is in the mold so the acidity develops and it should still give you a decent cheese.

Buck47

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
it's probably not as big(or costly) a mistake as landing before you put the gear down. In cheese making add the starter before the rennet, in flying always run your gump(f) check before proceeding with your landing! Regards...

I agree: it could have been Far worse.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:32:20 PM by Buck47 »

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:59:33 AM »
"Head up and locked."

midmapmom

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
So how did it turn out?