Author Topic: Sulguni Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 12715 times)

CFF

Sulguni Cheese Making Recipe
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe for Sulguni cheese - this is a traditional cheese in the Republic of Georgia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated    :)

Cheese Head

Re: Sulguni Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:32:36 PM »
Hi CFF (Hayne)

Never heard of that one, searched and found some info on wiki, picture here.

It sounds similar to middle eastern Halloumi as references to picked (don't know if in brine or vinegar) and fried cheese.

If you search the whole forum, there are several posts about it.

Others?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:08:11 PM »
I read one description that claims its a cross between mozzarella and havarti!

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:46:49 PM »
The Russian entry on Suluguni has the recipe

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%83%D0%B3%D1%83%D0%BD%D0%B8

Briefly translated:

Use pasteurized cow, buffalo, sheep and goat's milk or combination. Acidity for cow's milk should be 20-21 ° T, mixture 22-25 ° T.

Take .7-1.5% lactococcus culture, add to pasteurized milk that has been balanced with CaCl2. Add pepsin or rennet when milk is 31-35 C and wait 30 min for curd to form. Cut curd to 6-10 mm. Rest curd for 5-10 mins, then stir to dry the curd for 10-20 min.

Warm over 10-15 mins to 34-37 C. If temp is already there, skip second heating. The main characteristic of salugumi is its cheddaring, which later lends to its melting properties. When the grains reach the proper size, drain 70-80% of the whey. Take curd mass and press under whey. Leave under whey at 28-32 C to cheddar. After 2-3 hours, acidity should be 140—160 °Т, or pH 4.9—5.1.

If you let acidity get too low, cheese will be low quality with crumbly texture or sourness. To determine curd mass readiness, take a small piece, .7 -1 cm x 10-15 cm long and put in 90-95 C water. If melts, it's ready.

mill curds into 1—1,5 cm x 2-3 cm pieces and put into warmer or dough machine with a 160 or 330 liter capacity. Mix until it's a homogenous, stretchy mass and transfer to molds.

From the cheese mass, cut the right size and shape piece. Wrap the outer endges a few times until the piece is spherical. Place in cylinder form.

Place the formed cheese into a whey brine 17-18% salinity, 8-12 C temp. Brine from 6 hours to 1-2 days, depending on cheese size and moisture. Target salt content of finished cheese should be 1.2-2% for optimum characteristics.

Some more notes about marketing, storage, etc. No aging notes.

Hope this helps!

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
My understanding from that recipe is that they start with a cheddar cheese recipe slightly modified with details like pressing under whey and cheddaring under whey, and then mill the curds. Then instead of salting the milled curds, they make sort of a mozzarella out of them, and then mold and brine. The target salt content is consistent with optimum targets for most mesophilic cheeses.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:47:06 PM by linuxboy »

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:48:01 PM »
linuxboy, amazing, congrats!

CFF

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
Fantastic"

You guys rock - Even though I don't understand all the terms like (pressing under whey) as soon as I finish my class in August this will be the cheese I start with.

Thanks so much for the help

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:51:38 AM »
Hi,

Pressing under the whey just means not draining all the whey out and pressing the cheese so the top is covered in the whey. We're pretty helpful here, and it's easy to search past discussions and ask if you have questions :)

CFF

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:59 AM »
Thanks linuxboy"

Hopefully I wont wear out my welcome with too many questions - but I really appreciate your help. I couldn't find an English version of the recipe and there is no hope that I will ever read Russian :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »
I was in local Eastern Mediteranean Grocery Store in West Houston USA and took these pictures of Sulguni cheeses . . .