Author Topic: Oil Coating Pressed Cheeses - Salt & Oil  (Read 4447 times)

Cheese Head

Re: Oil Coating Pressed Cheeses - Salt & Oil
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
Wayne, I keep my Salt & Oil Rubbed rind in my cheese cave, so no landings or crawlings, but yes hands . . . you must store yours in a different place ::).

wharris

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:34 PM »
Yea, you know me.
I like to take my wheels to my kids elementary school for show and tell, then off to the local playground for some pickup games of "hot-potato" and touch football.

Finally I take my wheels to the H1N1 ward at the local hospital for therapy hands-on healing.

I'm sure my wheels are all good.

:)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:03 PM »
I love the rind, especially on a swiss. It gives you a chance to savor a different aspect of the cheese that is quite different than the "heart" of the cheese. Wayne, I guess you'd be doing a whole lot more savoring than most. If it's too hard, it could be grated for pasta, cheese toast, or soup. Seems like with all the love and hard work that went into the cheese, it should all be enjoyed.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tropit

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »
I was washing my some of my 1 lb. cheeses with salt and a little water from the tap every day.  I opened one up the other day and everything looked wonderful...until I tasted it...BLECH!  It was so salty all the way through to the center!  I immediately washed the other wheels in straight water and put the salt away.  Fingers are crossed that the other wheels will be OK.   ???

Your wheels are much larger than mine, so that will make a big difference in your results.  However, I would suggest that you don't use the salt every day.  As for the olive oil...I use extra virgin oil and it tastes mah-vah-lus dahlink!  Go for it!

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »
This method sounds good, but why not use the muslin wrap method (like for cheddar) for this purpose?
--
Michael Dow