Author Topic: John's Cheese #050 - Ricotta #2 From Whey Only, No Yield!?  (Read 11405 times)

Cheese Head

John's Cheese #050 - Ricotta #2 From Whey Only, No Yield!?
« on: September 20, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »
My previous Ricotta cheese making was using milk, this one is using 4.5 US gallons/17 liters of whey from my large Dill Weed flavored Havarti made yesterday. The whey was stored in the used plastic milk jugs from store in household cold fridge over night. Half of the whey is probably only 50% whey as the Havarti was a washed curd cheese so added hot water, thus this Ricotta batch is really ~ 3 US gallon/11 liters of whey.

RECORDS
  • SEP 21, 2009 10:30AM: Poured fridge cold whey into large stockpot vat on largest gas ring on stove, turned on heat, stirred rarely. Small bits of curd in whey as I wasn't very careful with ensuring bits not in it while making the Havarti.
  • SEP 21, 2009 12:00PM: Temperature at 200F/93C, turned off heat. While stirring, added 1/2 cup standard household white vinegar (5% acetic acid), no curds rose to surface.
  • SEP 21, 2009 12:10PM: While stirring, added second 1/2 cup vinegar, no curds rose to surface!?
  • SEP 21, 2009 12:20PM: While stirring, added third 1/2 cup vinegar, no curds rose to surface!? Covered and set aside to see if time would help.
  • SEP 21, 2009 2:00PM: Still no curds, when whey stirred, get cloud of fines. Started filtering whey and any solids through Ricotta basket lined with draining bag.
  • SEP 21, 2009 6:00PM: Finished finally draining whey and fines through Ricotta basket lined with draining bag, minimal solids (see picture), weighed only 0.34 kg/0.75 pound.

• Took 1.5 hours of gas on medium high (and air conditioning to cool house) to get this volume of whey to 200F just to get 2 cups of Ricotta. Next time only make in winter when need heat and instead use whey for other uses.
  • Unknown why no curd development.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:08:09 PM by John (CH) »

Cheese Head

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:13:20 PM by John (CH) »

Sailor Con Queso

Re: John's Cheese #050 - Ricotta #2 From Whey Only, No Yield!?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »
Several books and online sources say not to use whey that is over 3-4 hours old so I alway make Ricotta while the whey is still hot from a cheesemaking session. I do my cheese in 3-1/2 gallon batches. I add 1/4 gallon of whole milk back into my whey when making Ricotta. Even a little whole milk makes a big difference in the yield. Washing the curds definitely efects yield. The dill might interfere as well (but adds a great taste).

I skim off the large floating Ricotta and then filter the whey thru bujtter muslin. The filtered stuff often has the consistency of cream cheese until it cools. I get 6 to 8 ounces of Ricotta per gallon of starter milk. We use it a lot and I sell some to help pay for my milk.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »
Sailor

Thanks for your support/advice. I've read the same thing, use whey when fresh, but this went straight into cold kitchen fridge overnight so I was assuming it would work. Should never assume. I'm currently filtering through my draining bag and no bits only fines, cream cheese is a good analogy, will post pic when done straining.

So I have three possible causes of failure of my almost no yield:
  • Coagulation only works with fresh, not refrigerated overnight whey?
  • Dill Weed has upset the balance?
  • Half normal whey and half washed-diluted whey, but I still should have gotten some yield?

Another question, I've also seen other Ricotta recipes where add some milk, but I assumed that was just to get a better yield, or is there some extra reason, ie do you get more yield from adding 1/4 gallon of milk to whey than from just making Ricotta from 1/4 gallon milk and no whey? And is so why?

cmharris6002

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »
As far as I know the extra milk is only to increase yield. I make Mozzarella once a week and yield 20 pounds of whey per batch. Because the whey from Mozzarella is already acidic I don't add vinegar. I add a quart (10%), Heat to 210F, and get 2 pounds of ricotta.

Christy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:00:18 PM by Christy »

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:27:51 PM »
The books generally say heat to 180-190F. I find that the Ricotta doesn't precipitate out well unless I get over 200 - but NOT to boiling.

cmharris6002

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »
I agree Sailor. I bring it to 210F, just at the point of boiling but not quite, then turn off the heat once the curd starts to form.

Christy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 10:53:43 PM »
Several books and online sources say not to use whey that is over 3-4 hours old

I have always made the ricotta the next day as it is to late the night I have made the cheese. I generally get about 8 to 12 ounces per gallon of whey depending on the cheese. I am not as meticulous about draining the cheese curds as john is though. I do take the whey to about 200F degrees.

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 03:05:21 AM »
Debi, thanks, so while it is best practice to make Ricotta when whey is fresh, you have done so and gotten good yield.

Therefore it looks like the only reason for my no curd just fines yield, is because I used Dill Weed and thereby altered the chemistry . . . I'll have to try again but without Dill Weed.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 03:15:39 AM »
I have to wonder if it was the dill? ... I have never made riccotta on the same day as the cheese so I am pretty darned sure that's not it. Now I wish I would have made mozzarella from that last Havarti batch but I used most of it to make bread bowls for party.

cmharris6002

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 09:10:46 PM »
I made Mozzarella and Ricotta today. With this thread in mind I did not add extra milk to the whey for ricotta.

I brought 3 gallons of Mozzarella whey to almost 220F before the curds started to form. Once I saw the curds start I turned off the heat. I got huge fluffy curds and scooped them out with a basket after draining I had 1lb 4oz of ricotta from whey only!

My guess is that 'whey only ricotta' yields will vary according to the kind of whey you use.

Christy

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
Christy, thanks for your test, I assumed you added vinegar like I did when you got to temp, also what type of milk did you use for the Moz?

To all, any special uses for the 3/4 pounds of precipitate cheese I have in bowl above?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 11:04:36 PM »
That's a nice yield Christy. 220 degrees huh?

cmharris6002

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »
No vinegar! Mozzarella whey has perfect acidity for Ricotta. This was truly from whey only. I used goat milk for the Mozzarella.

Yes, it was very foamy and just on the verge of boiling when the curds popped and I turned off the heat. I need to get a new camera so I can get some pics next time :)

Christy