Author Topic: Help... mozzerella won't stretch  (Read 1414 times)

freetodream

Help... mozzerella won't stretch
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:13:48 AM »
I'm a newbie here and have apparently failed at making mozzarella for the first time :(  Everything was going like it was supposed to until I heated a few pieces of curds (in 170 degree whey+salt) to see if they were ready to "work". They will melt but as I start to work them they kinda meld together but they get crumbly almost, not smooth and stretchy, and they just break apart if I try to stretch them. 

This wasn't the 30min recipe this was a regular long one although the recipe didn't have me test ph and now I'm reading that most of them do? It also didn't call for citric acid and I've seen that most of them do?  And I've also read the curds that don't stretch are usually an under acidification result is that correct? Any other causes I might think about?

And now I have this lump of curd that won't stretch in the fridge is it useable? Can I fix it somehow? Will "ageing" it overnight help?  It tastes pretty good the texture is just weird. Thanks for any suggestions I appreciate it.
Kjersti

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Help... mozzerella won't stretch
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:06:45 AM »
Try reheating it either in whey or hot water 167 degrees or in the microwave. knead it and heat it several times until it begins to stretch. You may have to do this many times.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:28:50 PM »
Hello freetodream, quite a few people (including me) find making Moz very tough, good luck and have fun!

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:00:39 AM »
I stick with Mrs kk's recipe now and have no problem