Author Topic: Checking out Cheese  (Read 2494 times)

DaggerDoggie

Checking out Cheese
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »
I just got back from the grocery store, just your basic Bb grocery store, and was needed some Brie for dinner tonight, Yeah, I should have made some.  I spent a lot of time looking at all the cheese, with greater interest than ever before, and there are a lot of different cheeses I had never noticed in our local grocery.  I was amazed.  I have always loved cheese, but usually go to the store with a purpose...this time I browsed.

I even found Manchego cheese.  I was going to get some until I saw it was $21 a pound, so I passed.  The cheapest package was $10.99.  Merlin, you have a great job to be able to try all these varieties of cheese.  Also stopped to get ice cream and they had some artisan cheddar (sharp, smoked, horseradish) and they were getting $18 a pound.

Guys, we have to get good at this, make a cheese coop and sell our cheese. ;D  Ok, maybe not yet. ::)  Besides, I'm a lousy businessman.

merlin

Re: Checking out Cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:15:55 AM »
I know!  Spending the kind of money that they want for cheese in a grocery store is crazy.  Just some inside information, the grocery store will work on 60% to 80% mark-up.  So that $10.99 probably cost the store around $3.00.  Your best bet is to find a local cheese shop, the prices will be a little cheaper but your going to get the freshest stuff and you can decide how much to buy.

Cheese Head

Re: Checking out Cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »
My Dad once met a buyer for large department type stores who told him the markup is also 200-400% from factory. The grinding down of that margin by Costco and Wal-Mart and internet is what's keeping inflation at retail level in check.

On the good news, I can make Manchego for 3-4 $/lb, albeit not as good . . . yet ;).

DD, yes I am also amazed at all the cheese types at our local stores, someone is buying it.