Author Topic: Kefir Milk - Using As A Starter Culture  (Read 19270 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Kefir Milk - Using As A Starter Culture
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 07:09:37 AM »
Those two cheeses were very small and very limited because I wasn't sure how it would turn out. They were here but for a brief stay...and then they were eaten with crackers, wine...the usual. They weren't bad. The texture, salt content, and overall appeal were very acceptable. They had a very slight...unusual taste character because of the complex culture mix.

I was satisfied with them as an experiment but decided to stick with more conventional culture mixes in the future. I felt there were just too many variables at work.

Since that time I have proceeded to develop my techniques and improve the quality of my cheeses following excellent guidance from some good folks here: linuxboy and Sailor, to name a couple. That and paying attention to everything that's going on when I'm engaged in the make has helped me fine-tune everything. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I think I see a clearing ahead.

A more recent cheese that I tried, Beaufort, has a culture mix that promises to be most interesting this time next year when I get to taste it. Check it out.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Cfhebertjr

Re: Kefir Milk - Using As A Starter Culture
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
Are you still making cheese? Are you on any other threads?