Author Topic: Vat - John's Royal Indust. 40 US Quart/38 Liter NSF Stainless Steel Stockpot & Lid  (Read 15000 times)

Cheese Head

I was looking for a larger vat than my current stockpots for my two new larger 1.5-2.0 kg Kadova Gouda shaped molds.

After much mulling on member DeejayDebi's large chaffing dish I decided to go with a large stockpot as I wanted larger size to be able to more fully fill my two new Kadova molds.

Fellow member Wayne Harris had recently bought a Royal Industries Inc. brand 100 US quart/95 liter NSF Stainless Steel stockpot and lid for making his huge Cheddars and was happy with it so I ordered the same brand but in a much smaller 40 US quart/38 liter size. Mine was USD110 + free shipping coupon. Not cheap but way better quality than my first set.

Shipped in double box, no damage, heavy duty, sides do not flex, handles are robust, I lifted with 6 US gallons/23 liters of milk when using for first time and it did not flex nor did I feel handles were going to fail. That said I doubt I would lift and move it when full with ~9 US gallons/34 liters, but we'll see. Base has a 4 mm aluminum core for more even heat distribution and it is covered with a layer of stainless steel. Lid is more than heavy duty enough.

In summary, great heavy duty large stockpot, the only negatives are 1) there are few small bits of welding slag that I can hear roll around the inside of the encapsulated base when I move it, doesn't hurt it's function, and 2) the steel isn't shiny but rather fine lathed with very fine horizontal lines. I'm a little worried about any microscopic molds clinging on there but I suspect I'm worrying too much.

I scrubbed it out twice and rinsed it out 4 times before using for first time, it is a bit of a pain to clean as it definitely does not fit in a household kitchin sink ;D.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:05:07 AM by John (CH) »

cmharris6002

Wow, nice pot!! Thanks for the review.

Christy

wharris

(...grunting....)
Mine bigger!!
(Beating my chest here at my desk)

;D

(congrats,  I think you will like it.)

Tea

Thanks for that John.  I have been looking at pot too, but I hadn't checked the handles.  So I must do that. Don't forget to show us the pot in use.

Wayne I still get a giggle when I remember the photo's that you posted.  They were gems.

wharris

Kids are great.

Baby Chee

I'm buying the 200 qt. stockpot from Sam's Club....

Ok, maybe not, but it you guys want the big stuff, it's there for $227.
I was secretly contemplating the 100 qt., but I should get my act together with the blues first.

Cheese Head

Tea, pictures of it in service here.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Great pot John. I didn't even notice the different pot in the havarti shots - sorry. They all kind of look the same from the inside.  ;D

I have gotten all 7 gallons of curd in one mold - just does not in my mini cave well.

Quote from: Wayne Harris link=topic=2177.msg16536#msg16536

date=1253807871
(...grunting....)
Mine bigger!!
(Beating my chest here at my desk)

;D

(congrats,  I think you will like it.)

Cheese Head

No problem Debi, I agree, when the stockpot and skimmer are both bigger, from pictures it's really hard to get perspective, the only way is by looking at the amount of cut curds, it did take a while to cut.

I really wanted to go for your max 8" tall 7 US gallon chaffing dish but with this pot I can do probably 9.5 US gallons. For two of the Kadova molds that works out to 4.75 each, about 4.75 pounds of pressed curds/cheese, 2.16 kg in each which is lots.

wharris

What is the diameter and depth of your pot?

Cheese Head

Wayne, good question, Royal Industries website doesn't list and US Instawares.com where I ordered mine from only lists I assume the outside dimensions.

I just measured, inside diameter is 40 cm/15-3/4 in, inside height is 30.1 cm/11-13/16 in.

wharris

Does your curd knife go all the way to the botton of the pan?

Cheese Head

Wayne, sorry for delay, my wife moved it and I couldn't find it, not this stockpot, but my new long Conditor's Spatula curd knife I bought to go with it ;D.

As you can see in picture below, it's long enough for a full batch, I haven't fully filled the stockpot yet to see if I could get 9 or 9.5 US gallons in it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Nice! The spatula looks really strudy too.