Author Topic: 2009 Fermentation Handbook.  (Read 9338 times)

wharris

Re: 2009 Fermentation Handbook.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
I justed started jalapeno pepper wine yesterday and no I'm not drinking it I will be giving it to so friends  ;D.
wow, that sounds very spicey.

wharris

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 01:11:36 PM »
Wine Recipes from Winepress.us
Table of Contents

• Anise Wine
  • Anise/Banana/Elderberry Wine
  • Apple
  • Apple Wine
  • Apple or Pear Federweisser (Federweißer)
  • Apple or Pear Federweisser (Federweißer) (m)
  • Apricot Wine (m)
  • Banana Wine
  • Basil Wine
  • Blackberry Wine
  • Blackberry Bordeaux
  • Blackberry-Cabernet
  • Blackberry Wine
  • Blackberry Wine September
  • Blackberry Wine March
  • Blackberry Wine April
  • Blackberry/Raspberry Blend Wine
  • Blackberry/Elderberry port
  • Blackberry Rossa March
  • Blue Fantasy – Blueberry Wine
  • Blueberry Wine
  • Blueberry Wine
  • Blueberry-Black
  • Canned Peach Wine
  • Canned Apricot Wine
  • Canned Pineapple Wine (m)
  • Canned Pumpkin Wine
  • Caramel Apple Wine
  • Carrot Wine
  • Cherry Wine
  • Cherry-Mulberry Wine
  • Chocolate Mint - Martina's After Eight Wine
  • Chokecherry
  • Chokecherry Delight Wine
  • Chrysanthemum Wine
  • Cinnamon Cyser
  • Clean Out the Freezer Wine
  • Clean Out the Fridge Wine
  • CMoore’s more grape than cranberry Wine
  • CMoore’s Cranberry / Pear Blush
  • CMoore’s Fresh Cranberries and Concentrated Grape Wine
  • CMoore’s Cranberry / Pear Blush
  • Coffee Wine
  • Coffee Wine
  • Confused Pineapple
  • Country Jelly Wine
  • Cranberry
  • Cranberry Orange
  • Cucumber Wine
  • Dandelion Wine
  • Day Lily Wine
  • Dried Fruit Cranapple Wine
  • El Pilon Blackberry
  • Elderberry Port November
  • Elderflower Wine
  • Fairytale Pumpkin Wine Recipe
  • Fig Wine
  • French Lilac Wine
  • Frozen Strawberry Wine
  • Germany White – Martina’s GYM Wine
  • Germany White – Martina’s GYM Wine (m)
  • Gold Medal Blueberry Wine
  • Gorse Wine
  • Guarapo de Pina (m)
  • Gummamela (Rosa Jamaica Wine)
  • Hard Lemonade
  • Hibiscus Wine
  • Honey Peach Cordial
  • Jack Keller’s Clementine Wine
  • Jack Keller’s Loganberry Wine
  • Jack Keller’s Sassafras Wine
  • Jam or Jelly Wine (Strawberry, Peach, Blackberry, Plum, Raspberry)
  • Japanese Wineberry Wine
  • Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead
  • Jug Wine
  • Juniper Wine
  • Kiwifruit Wine (m)
  • Kwass (Bread Wine) (m)
  • Lavender Wine
  • Lavender Wine
  • Lavender Wine
  • Lavender Lemon Wine (m)
  • Lemon Wine
  • Lemon Wine
  • Lilac Wine
  • Love Potion # December
  • Manila Mango Wine
  • Marigold Wine
  • Melon Wine (m)
  • Montmorency Cherry Wine
  • Morgan Dandelion Wine
  • Mulberry Wine
  • Mulberry-Grape Concentrate Wine
  • Muscadine Wine
  • Muscadine Merlot (a sort of port)November
  • Muscadine Wine October
  • Muscadine Wine - Red
  • Oaked Blackberry
  • Old Orchard Red
  • Old Orchard White
  • Orange Wine (m)
  • Oregon Fruit Puree
  • Paula's Port
  • Peach Plus
  • Peach Wine
  • Peach Wine
  • Peach Wine
  • Pear Wine
  • Peppermint Wine
  • Pineapple Wine
  • Pineapple Blend Wine
  • Pomelo Wine (m)
  • Potato Wine
  • Prickly Pear Wine (m)
  • Prune Juice Wine
  • Pumpkin Wine
  • Pumpkin Wine
  • Pumpkin Wine
  • Pumpkin Wine – Martina Style!
  • Pumpkin Pie Wine
  • Raisin Muscadine
  • Raspberry Herb Wine
  • Red beet Wine
  • Rhubarb Wine
  • Rice 'n Raisin Wine (m)
  • Rose-Hip Wine
  • Rose-Hip Wine
  • Rose-Hip Wine (m)
  • Rosemary-Nutmeg Wine
  • Sacred Sage Wine
  • Sangria
  • Scuppernong Wine
  • Simple Hard Lemonade
  • Strawberry Wine
  • Strawberry/Blueberry Wine
  • Tea Wine
  • Tomato Wine
  • Vino Rosa
  • Watermelon Wine
  • Welch's/old Orchard Wine
  • Welch's/old Orchard Wine
  • Wild Black Raspberry Blueberry Wine
  • Wild Blackberry Wine (Probably Dewberries)
  • Wild Chokecherry Wine
  • Zucchini-Squash Wine

whichwhey?

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »
If you never tried blueberry wine, you must make some. It is so good, so good. It seems I can't keep it around long enough to age any. I just started so mead yesterday and it smells good. And can't wait to make more blueberry ;D.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Sounds good. I will have to try this sometime.

Likesspace

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »
Wayne,
The winepress.us site you posted is actually based only about an hour and a half away from my home. I'm also a member there and have been threatening to pay them a visit for the past several years.
As for using either fresh grapes or a kit, I will say that a nice wine can be made from even an inexpensive kit.
In the past I've used both the Wine Expert Vinter's Reserve kits (which are in the $70.00 range), as well as California Connisseur  kits that are only marginally more expensive.
I've also used some of the canned juice concentrates like Alexanders which are about $20.00 per can.
In each case I turned out a nice daily drinking wine but for some reason only after a LONG aging period. Most others find their kit wines to be good at 6 months to a year but I felt they were undrinkable until at least two years had passed and in one case, three.
Now concerning juice wines and kits, as Wayne said, they will only have the potential to be so good.....
The reason for that, (in my opinion) is because you are re-hydrating the juice with water. Most kits have around 2 - 3 gallons of juice and they are made to a 6 gallon batch. Considering that this is the case it's even more impressive that you can turn out a pretty nice end product.
Another option that is available, (although MUCH more expensive), is pure juice kits.
These contain 6 gallons of pure juice and range in price from $150.00 - $250.00, depending upon the quality of the grapes the juice was made from.
This would, by far, be the best way to go but again the quality comes at a higher initial cost. If I'm thinking correctly, this type of kit should produce something very close to a wine that was made from fresh grapes.
Even though the pure juice kits are high, relatively speaking they really aren't that bad.
Considering that you will get about 30 - 750 ml bottles from one of these kits, the price per bottle, (even on the most expensive), comes in at around $8.00 per bottle.
A few weeks ago my cousin and I drank a Pinot Noir that he had purchased. It was a $75.00 bottle of wine that should have been wonderful. Unfortunately neither of us were that fond of the wine, even after letting it breathe for over 2 hours.
I would much rather spend $250.00 on a good kit and end up with 30 bottles of a wine that is sure to be very drinkable than spend even $75.00 on a bottle that I did not like at all.
I've just gotten back into wine making in the past few weeks and have been doing a lot of reading. I don't really see myself ever going the fresh grape route, simply because I don't have the room for the required equipment, or the funds with which to purchase the equipment or grapes.
I do, however, see myself moving up to the all juice kits after I get a few less expensive kits under my belt.
Right now I'm just sort of brushing up on the things I learned a few years back and trying a few tweaks to the kits, to make them more to my liking (acid/tannin additions and adding chopped raisins for extra body).
All in all I'm having a blast with it, but before I begin an all juice kit I have a standing date to call Wayne and pick his brain.
What's amazing to me, is that making certain varietals of wine, is even possible in the home setting.
I mean here in Illinois, (say 20 years ago), you basically had one choice when it came to a grape wine.....Concord.
Now, thanks to the internet, I can make an authentic Burgundy region Pinot Noir or one from the Sonoma valley if that is more to my liking.
Honestly, that just blows me away.

Dave

wharris

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 02:02:47 AM »
All in all I'm having a blast with it.

And that's all that matters. 
Good for you.
 ;D

Likesspace

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 02:38:15 AM »
Wayne...
Could I get your opinion on all juice wine kits?
Do you believe that they can produce a wine that is comparable to fresh grapes?
I know you've been doing this for quite a while so I would really like to hear your opinion on this.
As I said, I can't afford to go the fresh grape route so I'm looking for the next best thing.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

wharris

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 03:03:07 AM »
Well, I think you can get a good wine from kits, and bad wine from grapes.

Hell, you can get drinkable wine from really bad kits, and one can absolutely ruin a wine from really good grapes.  There are a zillion variables, almost all of which i have managed to, or will manage to screw up at some point.

Fresh grapes will cost you about 1.00USD/lb.  It takes about about 15lbs of fresh grapes to a gallon of juice. So,  90 bucks and you have a batch of 6gallons of fresh wine.

You should really find a grape pimp near you,  you might need to go to STL or Chicago, but its only once/twice a year.
They will probably also crush the grapes for you, and you can use your cheese smarts to build a homemade press.

For me, i will make grape wine once a year anymore from fresh grapes. I might make some fruit wine, (or mead thanks to Tea and Carter) but outside of that,  but no more kits for me.

Likesspace

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »
Geesh, Wayne.... I had no idea fresh grapes could be bought for so little.
We have tons of wineries around us so I guess I'll check with them before next season to see what I can find. Maybe they will have some leftover from what they purchase that they would be willing to sell.
Not only did I NOT know that grapes are so cheap I also did not know that it took so little to make a gallon of juice. That certainly makes the grapes a better bargain.
I appreciate the information you've given. Of course now I'll have to re-think everything that I know about wine making (only kits) so that should be fun. :-)
Thanks again, Wayne.
I do appreciate it.

Dave