Author Topic: Limburger Made With P candidum, Mold Like Camembert?  (Read 823 times)

Offline Baby Chee

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
  • Small Time, Big Taste
Limburger Made With P candidum, Mold Like Camembert?
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:44:29 PM »
I just noticed LIMBURGER is made with p. candidium, which surprises me.  Does that raise a white surface like the Camembert/Brie?

Also, is it the R. Linens which gives the Limburger that smell?  I want to try one in the next few weeks, if it can sit in there with Camembert.
“For centuries, people thought the moon was made of green cheese. Then the astronauts found that the moon is really a big hard rock. That's what happens to cheese when you leave it out.”

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline John (CH)

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 60
Re: Limburger Made With P candidum, Mold Like Camembert?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:04:02 AM »
Baby Chee, the Limburger cheese making recipe that I built has P candidum as an option. The only time I tried making it (a mess) I only used normal B linens.

Offline Baby Chee

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
  • Small Time, Big Taste
Re: Limburger Made With P candidum, Mold Like Camembert?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »
Thanks!  I went off of that recipe for my future Limburger.

Hopefully I can get some good results.  My Camb-Cave should house the Limberger well, but is P. Camb. a normal mold for Limberger cheese? Or did you throw it in as an experiment?
“For centuries, people thought the moon was made of green cheese. Then the astronauts found that the moon is really a big hard rock. That's what happens to cheese when you leave it out.”